Just Bought a '05 Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KorocNevarine

Reaction score
Seems like she runs well, 136,000 miles. Any suggestions as to what I should be on the watch for? Things that always break on them type of things?

Anyways, nice to meet you all!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Rust, rust, and more rust. Especially check the rocker panels and the area beneath the third taillight.

RATX5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Like profdlp said, Rust. Never had my KJ leave me stranded, mechanically speaking. The few times that it has broken on me while I was out and about, I was still able to drive it home to be fixed. Reliable as hell, but they have a tendency to corrode. You should hop over to the Member's Journals section and make a build thread so we can see some pictures. :p

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocker panels will rust, rear corners by the rear glass (trust me I repaired them 2 years ago. One side had a hole the size of my fist) and under the tail light and rear wiper sprayer OH and all the doors ;) undercoat every year and clean the door jambs and you'll be good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man you guys are going to run this guy off talking about all of this rust
I have an 02 sitting waiting on an engine with no rust, also an 03 , 04 and 05 all without any rust what so ever
To the OP depending on how they were taken care of there could be some rust BUT if maintained well not so much of an issue
Now some later models have issues with window regulators ,

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Mine had little rust on rocker panels and should be easy to take care.

MantisTobagan

Reaction score
I would try to have the ac refrigerant and oil pumped out and have new ones put in. When off road put the jeep in 4wd and try making some turns and listen for any strange noises which would indicate bad axles or axles on their last legs. Flushing the cooling system would definitely be beneficial and checking the water pump as well. Don't forget about the thermostat, if your not sure when the thermostat was changed then I would definitely change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crajos

Reaction score
I'd say inspect your lower ball joints, and check your rear lower control arms for excessive rust - these were both recalls. Silly me didn't know about the rear LCA recall until I did some Google-fu after I found one of mine was rusted through.

Search the forum once you start doing some maintenance, they're loaded with goodness.