Jumping in lower gears.....(?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so uhhh.....I'm pretty mechanically savvy, for a girl, but I am having a difficult time describing the issue I think my Jeep may have(or maybe I'm just in denial). It does it quite frequently.....if I'm taking off from a stop, or increasing speed from a very low speed, the truck almost seems to hop, or jump right in between 2nd and 3rd gear mostly. Other than that, it's smooth as can be! I thought maybe the motor mounts, but I figured it'd do that wierd thing every time I took off, and it doesn't. What I'm REALLY hoping is that it's not my ******. It ONLY does it in that low gear though. It's not so bad that I freak out and want to not drive it or anything, it's just kind of annoying. And I want to make sure nothing is really wrong (at first I thought I was imagining things). Does anyone have any inclination as to what this could be? If anything? Thanks in advance. It has 56,*** miles on it by the way. Thanks.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it always done this or just lately?

And has the Transmission fluid ever been changed?

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger said:
Has it always done this or just lately?

And has the Transmission fluid ever been changed?

It's actually always done this. And I am not sure on the ****** fluid....I know the previous owner kept up with routine maintenance pretty well, but that's about it.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Sounds normal to me. All of ours have done this.... especially this one I have now.

Really???????? OMG I hope so! Like I said, maybe i'm just bein paranoid. It's almost like I'm drivin stick shift and I shifted rough.....very hard to describe. It's just like a rough transition between the gear.....maybe I'm drivin it too soft! lol. I do ALOT of stop and go driving. Traffic jams are a constant every day for me. Just scarey.....I don't want any major problems.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal sounding with me to. Mine jumps around 30-35mph I believe. I do have the jump though if I am beginning to take off. I had my computer flahsed the last time it was in the dealership and they fixed the lag I was getting when I hit 45mph-50mph. However, I thought it would fix the hop but nada.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Normal sounding with me to. Mine jumps around 30-35mph I believe. I do have the jump though if I am beginning to take off. I had my computer flahsed the last time it was in the dealership and they fixed the lag I was getting when I hit 45mph-50mph. However, I thought it would fix the hop but nada.

That sounds just like what mine is doing! Man....I feel so much better!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So in other words...

It's a Jeep thing. \:D/

Driving it too softly? Tee hee... if you drive it harder, the thump / jerk feels WORSE! lol3.gif

shadow3612

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it wasnt just me also, i'm no stranger to a jeep had a 91 YJ , every vehicle i've owned since i've driven was a manual and they stick when its really cold and I thought it was from that (in the negatives last couple nights with wind chill). I've only had my liberty for a few weeks and it has not done this til yesterday morning.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shadow3612 said:
I'm glad to hear it wasnt just me also, i'm no stranger to a jeep had a 91 YJ , every vehicle i've owned since i've driven was a manual and they stick when its really cold and I thought it was from that (in the negatives last couple nights with wind chill). I've only had my liberty for a few weeks and it has not done this til yesterday morning.

ah so yours does it too? i am so relieved now that I know it's not just mine, lol.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you also have the transfer case bang at low speeds with 4x4 on (trying to accel.), you can now call yours a "proper" jeep with all the bangs and noises and quirks... :D

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine doesn't really do this harsh shift that yours does, but you have an 02, so you have a beefier ****** then I do. I have driven a 2002 model before and it was a lot more firm on the shifts. I wouldn't be concerned about it right now.

I would however, check the ****** fluid (properly) and see what condition it's in.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent a couple of hours in my 02 Limited (just like hers) and mine shifts very smoothly.

It has happened before but I attributed it to a quirk that ironed itself out, like when the computer relearns everything after the battery is disconnected for a while.

I would check the ****** fluid and then disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and see if shifts any differently after.

Just a thought...

shadow3612

Reaction score
Just wondering on the jumping thing, if I accelerate slowly ( like in a developement with speed bumps) it doesnt jerk but shifts a little harder 2nd to 3rd , once driven a mile or two doesnt do it anymore. Stop for a few or at work and when I leave it does it only briefly and not as bad as in the a.m. after it was parked all night.....

shadow3612

Reaction score
Is that how it is with everyone else or is it like a personality trait , very specific to each one ..

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sometimes feel like mine wants to get up and go and at other times it just likes to mosey along.

It's hard to put into words but I definitely think it has a personality of its own.

Branhattan

Reaction score
I know this feeling... My 2002 Sport has always done this. However, it occurs more often when de-accelerating. As it goes down thru the low gears it feels like I just got bumped from behind. Perhaps a sticky clutch plate? I don't know enough about automatic transmissions to say. From what I have read on these forums, nobody seems to think this to be a serious issue. So unless it gets worse...

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice like a lag when going up through the gears if I cane it. Feels like a hollow spot then a sudden surge, basically this translates as jerky gear change, but it's always done it from new.
I also get that feeling of someone hitting you from behind when changing down. This only happens if I stop quickly and only after the vehicle has actually stopped moving. Mines an 02 Sport. Still only 38,000 km (23,600 miles), must be a record.

Enos316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this as well, seems to happen a bit more often in the colder weather, but don't quote me on it.

Latest posts

Members online