Jeepin Labs 04 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepinLab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my liberty on Friday. It is a 2004 sport. The jeep has 111,*** on it. I paid $4,500.00 for here. My 2010 escape was totaled about a week or so ago. I decided to go back to Jeep roots, (2 Cherokees in the past) and pick up the liberty.

I have a set of 5 rubicon rims and tires that I will be picking up here soon. Going to put a 2" lift for the clearance I need on the 245/75/r15's. The tires have about 60% tread left. The price was great so I had to pick them up.

Here is how she sits right now. I live in SWPA with lots of rugged terrain I can drive on. I don't plan on doing a lot of off roading until I get my wife a new car and use the old 04 vibe as my work car. Then I can play.

Thanks for looking and I will keep you posted how I make out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jeepinLab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the cheaper DayStar 2.5" lift for now for the liberty to fit the Jeep Rubicon Rims I am getting this weekend. Couldn't pass up the deal my buddy gave me on them. (5) aluminum 16" wheels from and older Ruby with (5) 245/75/R16 Goodyear Wranglers with a year or two left on them for $350.00.

I plan on getting the OME lift this spring but needed to get winter tires this year. I figured since (4) new wranglers in 235/70r16 would cost me over 500 with mounting. This would be the best way to get my by until spring/summer.

Lift should be here Friday, and picking up the wheels on Saturday. The jeep also needed an alignment anyway, so it is a win win. I know the cheap lift will be a rough ride for now, but just couldn't see passing up on the deal. I am creating a jeep fund with the left over money that I was used to paying on my totaled Escape, so it shouldn't take too long to get the OME and have a nicer ride. WIll put up pics as the project progresses.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing the spacer lift before i joined here glad i dint guys here say its no good and makes the ride rough. I have no experience with a lift planning on doing one when i come up on some cash. Thats a sick deal for those rims and tires i spent 550 on general grabber at2s mounted tax and everything. I thought that was a deal.:happy175:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Nice black jeep.

Dave

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing the spacer lift before i joined here glad i dint guys here say its no good and makes the ride rough. I have no experience with a lift planning on doing one when i come up on some cash. Thats a sick deal for those rims and tires i spent 550 on general grabber at2s mounted tax and everything. I thought that was a deal.:happy175:

That's actually not too bad on those Generals. They aren't cheap for being a BFG look alike! I haven't heard bad things about them though. I'd like to get me a set of the red letter Grabbers :gr_grin:

jeepinLab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the before pics. I know I will take heat for the spacer lift but I am not able to buy 2 sets of tires and a good lift. THis will just be to get me by for now.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually not too bad on those Generals. They aren't cheap for being a BFG look alike! I haven't heard bad things about them though. I'd like to get me a set of the red letter Grabbers :gr_grin:

Na it was what i could afford and i cant complain they have owned everything i throw at them. Only downfall is they throw mud rocks snow sand you name it they throw it. I guess the treads hold stuff in and throw out layer. Doesnt bother me as i am a city guy no gravel roads where i am at. And people spend more than 550 on regular highway tires i got a great all terrain aggressive tread for 550.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the before pics. I know I will take heat for the spacer lift but I am not able to buy 2 sets of tires and a good lift. THis will just be to get me by for now.

Love the black jeep got to get that pesky stealership sticker off. Good luck man i am in the same spot but i am just going to save up. I got my tires for year round use. Withing the next 6 months i hope to get and official lift done. Trying to figure everything out in the mean time.

jeepinLab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that dealership icon is pretty ugly. :) Going to start some of the preliminary work tonight if I can sneak in a little time

washing out the under side of body and suspension
putting some penetrating oil on the bolts and such.
removing battery box and air filter box
Putting the back end up on jack stands and taking off wheels and such.
Might give it a go on the rear end. I am by no means a mechanic but I want to start learning this stuff better. My buddy is going to help me tomorrow night as well, but just might have to give it a try tonight. Rear end doesn't look like it will be as hard as the front.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no mechanic either and i dont make alot of money to pay someone. When i finally have the dough for a lift i may just offer up steaks and beers for someone to come help me. Someone with previous experience.

jeepinLab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys I am chalking last night up as a success, at least for my ability anyway.

I got the jeep up on jack stand and wheels removed

both shock bolts removed

dropped the axle to take out the center nut that goes to A arm, but could not find a socket to match the bolt I sought out some help from a facebook group and had a guy give me some valuable insight that I didn't need to take that bolt out. I was just following along with a you tube video of the same lift on a liberty.

I got the air box and such removed and out of the way, and have all of the strut bolts accessible on the passenger side

removed the battery, battery box, and fuse panel.

After checking the facebook post I gave the drivers side rear a go and got it all installed. I put the shock back on and took a pic to put on the facebook post and realized I forgot to put the boot on.

I called it a night after that and will be back on it tomorrow. Hoping to pick up the Rubicon rims and tires tonight if the guy is available.

Thanks for all of the insight. Here are a few photos of the "Project Libercon"

air filter box removed

battery, fuse panel, and box removed

Here was that bolt that was giving me issues. Just have to put the nut back on and go from there.

Here is the passenger side complete minus the shock boot.

Here is me having a local Pennsyvania brew with my Lab, hence "JeepinLab" screen name.

My buddy is a certified mechanic and is helping with the rest tonight. I really want to do all of the work by myself and have him guide me. I have a case of Straub in the beer fridge ready to go. If I get the tires today the lift and tire project should be done this weekend, minus the alignment.

I put penetrating oil on all of the bolts and such, put the rear axle on jack stands, and removed the jacks.

Plans for tonight are:

putting shock boot on drivers side

installing rear lift on passenger side

Install front lift on both sides

Folding pinch weld, following instructions on this site

"IF I get tires today" putting the tires on.

I stole this off line but this is what she should look like when It is done.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no mechanic either and i dont make alot of money to pay someone. When i finally have the dough for a lift i may just offer up steaks and beers for someone to come help me. Someone with previous experience.

I LOVE Chicagoland!:gr_grin:

JL: lookin' good! Take your time and work methodically FTW....:favorites37:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea twowings i been here my whole life when i finally order the kit i will be wishing i was in ohio between you and tomm theres enough kj knowledge in ohio to supply the world.

jeepinLab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys after Thursday night success I was pretty pumped for Friday night. I went and picked up the rims from my buddy on the way home from work. The spare is actually brand new and has never touched pavement. I was really pumped as now I will just need to buy 3 new tires when it comes that time instead of four.

I got home from picking up the rims and went straight to work. I had everything on drivers side ready when my buddy showed up and he just put some weight on the rear axle and bam the rear was done.

I was pumped that I put half of the lift on by myself

We then moved to the drivers side front. My buddy had brought up his tools and impact so it made things a lot easier. We tag teamed the front and it disassembled in short order.

I snagged a quick pic of my buddy in the middle of working on the front. Glad he was there as I never could have done it by myself.

Once we had the everything off I took the coil compressors and took the coil down to where the springs were just about touching. Every bolt so far came out with easy, and not rough stuff. We went to press out the old strut plate bolts but the old hammer and socket trick wouldn't work. We head down to my dads place and used a vice. Boy those bad boys are tough to get out.

We took the Daystar spacer plate and went to press the bolts back in. Man they really sized that hole smaller. It took some work but we got them in. I just cant see why these people don't pre press them, those bolts cant be much more than a dollar a piece when buying in bulk.

So we got the side put back in place and had a little fun getting the shock back in place, but after about 20 minutes we got it back in.

Off to the other side, and another trip down my dads to use his vice. We got them all out, and in but on the last one it got a little snug. I was pressing it in when the nut on the bottom of the vice, or what ever it was shatters. no clue how you can totally crack that part but we did.

Back up to the house and got everthing lined up. It took all we had to pull the passenger side shock, in place. I was standing on the axle, it just kept getting hung up. Not sure if it was a bit bent or something but we could not get it to line up. After about 2 hours we finally got it in place.

We took it for a test drive, and all was well. I didn't think it felt much different than what the stock suspension did. I think that the stock suspension on it was a bit bouncy anyway. The tires worked awesome and l was pumped. I went to bed around 4:30 beat and battered. LOL

Woke up and took some day light pics.

shown with my boys wrangler. ;)

I took my boy out on Saturday to check my trail camera I have out for deer and did a little modest off roading. Nothing crazy, but the clearance was great and I loved the tires.

I cleaned it up Saturday afternoon and took some photos.

Kept it out of the woods today. LOL Plan on waxing her soon. I took some caliper paint and painted my calipers, and lower control arms and such. Did some accenting.

I drove it on the highway and the tires make it feel more solid than it did before. no shimmying or anything. Calling tomorrow to schedule and alignment. I didn't have any rubbing issues but still plan on taking out the pinch welds.

Future mods are fog lights, a few stickers. I am not that unhappy with the daystar lift for now, so pending on how it holds out I might just leave it on. I think I might put a roof rack on for more cargo, lights, and off road jack holder, and tow rope, things of that nature. Was contemplating a grill guard or brush guard because of my track record for wacking deer.

I love having this jeep, and think I got a steal. The sale price on the jeep was $4,595.00. The tires and rims were 350, and the lift was $140.00. So this is my $5,000.00 KJ. :) Cant wait to keep adding on and learning mechanical skills while I own this jeep. Hope to have her for a long time. Thanks for all of the help guys.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to get an alignment! Don't want to wear out those new tires too fast.

Lift looks good, I can't wait to do mine, but sadly it keeps slipping down the list of things I need to do. :(

Last edited: