Jeep Wave?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my CJ, others Jeepers and I would wave at each other. It was just customary. I hadn't any JK owners recognizing me as a Jeep. Is this just something from the past or do you guys find other Jeep owners showing a bond?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a Wrangler thing. When my wife had her TJ, she would get waves. Same when I had my JK. I have a Liberty and the wife has a Compass now, no wave. It's fine with me though, it was getting a bit tiring with all the Wranglers around here.

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be. Kinda disappointing, but you know it was the same when I was driving my boss's Porsche around too. Other owners of 911s....

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I fist got my xj seemed like the wranglers and XJ waved more than in recent years. Honestly forgot about the jeep wave it's been so long. ( also might be because my old XJ is lifted with more aggressive tires, the 91-2 XJs I don't remember getting too many waves)

Probably because the jeep brand has grown more numerous. So many different models now most I don't think are intended for off road, looking at you renegade. Nu-Cherokee, cant say how disappointing I find it. (I know most parts of the world consider KJ & KK Cherokee, both are much more deserving of the name)

Even the commander is more a highway jeep than let's find a trail jeep. Not that the commander is incompetent off road, just more ponderous IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
When I owned my CJ various homely AMC products would congregate around me on the highway but nobody waved.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wave at Jeeps around here that have had work done to them but I don't get waves that often. I mostly get questioned at the gas station about my KJ on where I got the parts to lift it. So many damn Wranglers here in this area.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I get the wave on occasion in the KJ, I think the winch at a glance sets it off as a "real" Jeep.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No waves back yet and I wave at a lot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the variation of the Jeep brand might have something to do with it. I had totally forgotten about it too. There's a lot of JKU's around here. All on 6 inches and 35's. Those things are so expensive. I can't imagine spending 40K just to get into a Jeep...

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get waves in my cj all the time but almost never in the libby. I waves to keeps though, as it should be. It's the jeep wave not the wrangler wave.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wave too much, lifted KJs , not many around but a few spacer lifted ones
Any older cars , trucks , 4x4s that are built
JKs , don't waste my time since they have no clue at all even what a JEEP wave is
Just gave a wave and big thumbs up to the guy with a 32 Ford coupe with big block cruising down the road , he pointed back at me and gave a thumbs up.
( miss my 32 )
But a true " car " guy/girl understands and no matter what they are driving will wave
Newer owners don't understand cause they more than likely don't own a wrench even to build a swing set

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely wave any more. KJ's get no respect........as Rodney Dangerfield would say. RIP Rodney.

Dave

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few KJs in my neck of the woods, but not a single one is lifted or has any other modifications. I had a guy come up to me a couple weeks ago who said with enthusiasm, "nice Jeep, man." I looked back where he came from and there was his own KJ, stock as stock could get. He said he didn't know you could put bigger tires on a Liberty (he prob'ly don't know it's a KJ). So, I told him I had to lift it 3" to do that and he was surprised, saying he didn't know you could lift them either.

I've had people walk up to me in parking lots to ask what it is - I debadged it almost right after I bought it. I see other Jeeps on some of the trails... one guy asked if that thing (my KJ? a thing?) had 4WD. :( But ya know, I see a lot of Jeeps of all persuasions around here that are bone stock or nearly so. It's the nature of the geographical area. Four season country and still plenty of dirt roads that aren't considered off-road, just streets or multi-mile long driveways.

It's a small town though and I've lived here most of my 67 years. I get waves from a lot of people I have no idea who they are and who aren't always driving a Jeep - but most are in a 4WD vehicle because that's the most popular type of vehicle around here.

I try to wave at every KJ, but hardly any of them wave back that I can tell. Cops always wave at me. Prob'ly because I have developed this habit of saluting them for their service. It may be one reason I haven't gotten a ticket in maybe decades. :D

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're not getting waves , and pay attention to on coming traffic and the one's who you'd expect to wave are drifting towards the center line, they aren't waving because they're too busy staring - i get passlane highbeams from time to time in wilmington or obx , i'll take that over a dude waving anyday :D

and i can usually tell when ive been out of a town for an extended period there will all of a sudden be a spurt of younger drivers in mustangs etc yelling out their windows at intersections or exits of fast food places giving their "props" or whatever

i get quite a few xterra owners approaching me at gas stations tho, it usually starts off with them being confused and realizing in short order before they actually say something that it's not an xterra. still not sure what to make of that one though

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
People always thought my 04 was a Land Cruiser or something. Wife always hates to stop for gas. Someone is always coming up and talking about 4x4 s etc.
Stopped at a rest area one day, took an hour to get back on the road 4 different guys came up to talk LOL

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a guy out last week to look at my furnace and AC. First comment when I opened the door was "Great Jeep!". He told me his brother had a Liberty which he had done a lot of work on, but had he seen mine he would have freaked. We talked a while and he said his brother's Liberty finally fell prey to the dreaded "growing family" virus; too many child car seats to fit in the back. I pointed out that if he had stacked the kids in the cargo area he'd still be in a great Jeep...

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to bring it back around here. I used to be the "Jeep Guy" back in High School. They knew me as that for like 4-5 schools around. There's a lot of Wranglers out there. I guess I can show them on the trail, but the Liberty is all Jeep...

Last edited: