Jeep renegade fan turns on with ac but fan does not operate without AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shattu

Reaction score
Hello, heres the problem i jvae been facing and how i have diagnosed.

PROBLEM :
- engine overheats and overflows the coolant at 90c. Fan does not start any where around 80c to 90c. But fan starts when i turn on AC (both high RPM & low RPM works)
- display shows coolant temperature rising to middle of the indicator, after that even though my OBD diagnose shows 80 - 90 - 100c temperature readings the display does not show any change. At this point i have noticed coolant being overflowed out of the over flow.

HOW I HAVE DIAGNOSED :
- change thermostat temperature sensor
- checked if fan operates at high RPM & Low RPM. (It does)
- when i pull of the jack of the temp sensor and start the engine, fan operate at high rpm and wont turn off.
- when i plug in the jack and start the engine, fan only operates if ac is turned on.

How can i fix this problem guys? Is there anything i have not looked into?

John Summerlot

Reaction score
This might be a stupid reply but you didnt mention it so here goes. The fans get switched on with a/c because the compressor makes it run warmer. When the a/c is off the relays control it i believe your problem might be a bad relay. I forget how my 02 kj is set up but most now days have 3 relays. Main/hi/low. I know on my 2012 avenger if a relay is bad the ac still kicks the fan on. Im pretty sure my 2002 kj sport is the same way

Latest posts

Members online