Jeep overheating while idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty V-6

While sitting idling in line or waiting to pickup someone up all of a sudden temp gauge goes to H and steam starts seeping out. Happened a few times now- neither AC or heat is on at the time.

Checked coolant levels which are fine (flushed a couple of weeks ago installed new radiator a few weeks ago) and it doesnt do it while driving.

Checked fan by turning on AC and it kicked on but not sure it was on when it was overheating.

Maybe the fan doesn't turn on while idling? Would this be the cause?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More information would help! Do you have HD cooling or just the electric fan? My bet is just the electric fan but it's good to know.

Did you install a new thermostat with the new radiator?

Also make sure not to overheat the engine. Shut it down at the first instance you see it go above the half way mark.

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no just electric fan and no didn't install new thermostat but if the thermostat was an issue wouldn't it overheat while driving too?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but odd things can happen if you install it backwards. :) but clearly not since you didn't change it.

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine said maybe a bad fan clutch but didn't think these had a fan clutch. I don' think fan comes on though except when a/c is turned on.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check specs of the temp sensor to see if it is sending the proper voltage to the relay. I would imagine the FSM would have the troubleshooting procedure. I saw a link to the FSM today on one of the recent threads. Not sure which one. But it is in the top 5 threads in General forum for KJ.

Edit: Here is that thread for the FSM i Was talking about. FSM Thread

Last edited:

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 02redKJ - will check it out this weekend. My guess after doing some research is faulty relay. Anyone know a way to test the fan relay?

Last edited: