Jeep Overheating while idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty V6 200k miiles

While sitting idling in line or waiting to pickup someone up all of a sudden temp gauge goes to H and steam starts seeping out. Happened a few times now- neither AC or heat is on at the time.

Checked coolant levels which are fine (flushed a couple of weeks ago installed new radiator a few weeks ago) and it doesnt do it while driving.

Checked fan by turning on AC and it kicked on but not sure it was on when it was overheating.

Also, wife blindly put coolant to the brim after the last time it happen - should I lower the level or is it ok?

Any ideas? Thanks.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use the correct coolant?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said above I tested the fan by turning on A/C but maybe it didn't kick on when temp is high and the a/c is off? anyone think this would be the issue or because it kicked on with the a/c on it's fine?

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan probably not kicking on due to temp. If it starts overheating again, turn on the AC and see if the temp starts dropping.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said above I tested the fan by turning on A/C but maybe it didn't kick on when temp is high and the a/c is off? anyone think this would be the issue or because it kicked on with the a/c on it's fine?
Not fine. The A/C-on overrides the temperature control and automatically kicks the fan on. But, that is a good temporary way to force the fan on to bring engine temps down until you figure out why the fan isn't going on when it's supposed to.