jeep liberty weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm concidering a backbone system and a winch, I found that winches are not cheap althou I found some on ebay but I don't know if they are anygood, then I started to look on what kin of winch would be good and I found a website that says the minimum weight capacity has to be at least 1.5 the weight of the vehicule.....but how much does the libby weights?

any help or comments would be appreciated as I don't know a thing about winching

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about 4K+ some
you need an 8K# winch
I thought you had 2wd?
why bother spending the money on all the of road goddies for some thing that will have trouble following a stock 4wd with some MT's
better money would be to sell the 2wd and go 4wd

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
about 4K+ some
you need an 8K# winch
I thought you had 2wd?
why bother spending the money on all the of road goddies for some thing that will have trouble following a stock 4wd with some MT's
better money would be to sell the 2wd and go 4wd

x2....on the 2wd thing...

Weight is 4000lbs, give or take a hundred....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The book shows the "base curb wt" 3.7L v6-a/t 4wd = 4.033 pounds and 2wd as 3,825 pounds. With the 6 speed manual trans it's about 20 pounds less.

What I was never clear on was the "curb weight" definition......I mean does it include a tank of gas or not......?

Max Gross vehicle wt (fully loaded) is listed as 5,350 for 2wd and 5,600 for 4wd with the 3.7L and a/t combo.

Then everyone starts adding skids etc etc......

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The book shows the "base curb wt" 3.7L v6-a/t 4wd = 4.033 pounds and 2wd as 3,825 pounds. With the 6 speed manual trans it's about 20 pounds less.

What I was never clear on was the "curb weight" definition......I mean does it include a tank of gas or not......?

Max Gross vehicle wt (fully loaded) is listed as 5,350 for 2wd and 5,600 for 4wd with the 3.7L and a/t combo.

Dave

I'm pretty sure that's with a full tank.....

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy way is to go to a garbage place and let them weight it on the big scales that you drive over, or a truck stop place might help also.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave
When I was fully loaded for the trail my KJ was tipping the scale at 5500lbs,that was a full tank.I was over my GVWR when I sat in it:D,glad I went with the 9500lbs winch.Soon my KJ will be over the 6000lbs mark.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was fully loaded for the trail my KJ was tipping the scale at 5500lbs,that was a full tank.I was over my GVWR when I sat in it:D,glad I went with the 9500lbs winch.Soon my KJ will be over the 6000lbs mark.

It's that orange paint, I tell ya.....it is full of lead pigment and you got too many layers on it....:D

Dave

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb for a winch is to get one that can pull at least double the weight of your vehicle. If i recall if you're vehicle is stuck in deep mud the resistance of the mud can/will make your vehicle like it weight's twice has much.

If I where to get a winch of my KJ, I would aim for a 9k or 10k pull load.

hollysprings

Reaction score
Gasoline weighs about 6.2 pounds per gallon, so a full 20 gallon tank adds 124 pounds versus an empty one, or 62 pounds versus one that's half-full - not much difference there, in the overall scheme of things.