Jeep Liberty Rebuild!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty 200k miles on it. Popped a head gasket and rather than fixing the 200k mile engine I am throwing in a salvage yard motor and giving this libby a new lease on life. I need shocks and struts and a few other things. What would you replace while you have it torn apart?

Here is my list of parts
Rear Brakes
Tie Rod Ends (inner/outer)
CV Axel (x2) One boot is bad and with the lift I just want to start fresh
Wheel Bearings
Lower ball Joints
Frankenlift
Upper Control Arms
Engine Tires
****** Flush
Diff fluid changes
Fixing a couple little rust spots (rear upper brake light under doors)

That is what I am going to do for now what do you think?

I plan to update with pictures as I go. I am doing the work myself so I might be asking for advice too! Be ready!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Check inter axle right side,bushings rack/pinion, rear ball joint,bushings in control arms,cam bolts in LCA for ability to adjust alignment after lift.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else could chime in, but would it be worthwhile to replace the torque converter while you have the engine out?

I'd inspect the bushings and motor mounts too, replace if they look worn.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a reman torque converter for 135.00 on evilbay. I am going to see how much of a hassle it is to put that in and probably do it. I have never touched a ******, but It cant be to difficult. thanks guys!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take pics along the way of taking it apart and going bacl together, not many people have pulled the heads and a write up would be awesome

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take pics along the way of taking it apart and going bacl together, not many people have pulled the heads and a write up would be awesome

Im actually only pulling the motor and replacing it with a new one, but I will definitly take pics and write the whole way through for you guys! I'm not sure my directions will be as good as what alot of you guys have on here, but Ill show you how I make it work!

What else should i do?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe also new fluids in everything, a full detailing....

Other than those two ideas, I think you got it!!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the old motor put some better pistons in it, button it up and put a supercharger on it. It will be the first kj to be SUCCESFULLY boosted

How awesome would that be? S/C, appropriately reprogrammed PCM, and intake upgrades should net a NICE increase in power.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never touched a ******, but It cant be to difficult. thanks guys!

I can't tell you how many times those words have come out of my mouth right before I end up crying, tools strewn around my feet and parts left over.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times those words have come out of my mouth right before I end up crying, tools strewn around my feet and parts left over.

LMAO ... I hear that! ... but as the years go by I have managed to stop myself before I start ;)

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be a prime opportunity to look into a 4.7 swap...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
About the Torque Converter replacement, the SHOULD I part? There is a Level 2 High Stall Performance Torque Converter: Brake Stall Speed Increased 400-800 RPM Over Stock, Improved 1/4 Mile Times (Up To 3/10 Second Faster!! Whoopie), Tig Welded Impeller, and Turbine Vanes, High Performance Lockup Clutch Friction, High Performance Custom Milled Stator Assembly, and so on... I didn't find much, this is for the 42RLE.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online