Jeep Liberty Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Katiec

Reaction score
My name is Katie, I’m new here. I’ve had my white 2002 Jeep Liberty for about a year and have done some maintenance on it throughout the year. I just recently brought it in because of the noise on the left end side. When I’m driving at a slow speed and when I’m turning is has almost a grinding noise. The mechanics told me they found nothing wrong with it? Could it just be that my joints need lube, or change the struts?

TomB985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My name is Katie, I’m new here. I’ve had my white 2002 Jeep Liberty for about a year and have done some maintenance on it throughout the year. I just recently brought it in because of the noise on the left end side. When I’m driving at a slow speed and when I’m turning is has almost a grinding noise. The mechanics told me they found nothing wrong with it? Could it just be that my joints need lube, or change the struts?

Hi Katie, and welcome to the forum. It almost sounds to me like you have a bad intermediate shaft.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/intermediate-shaft-symptoms-63175/

Unfortunately there is no way to determine this for certain without some disassembly, but the symptoms fit. The fact that it occurs while turning suggests front driveline, but CV joints are usually quiet when the wheels are straight.

MarkHammond

Reaction score
I have a similar issue - noise when turning slow (though not maxed out), like pulling into a parking spot. The noise comes from the front, sounds like from near both wheels. It doesn't sound like metal grinding, more of a moaning, like an dried out rubber bushing rubbing on metal. I think the struts are original (170K miles), so that was my first thought?

Could it be the axles / hub or would that sound more like metal grinding?

Will take a look in next few days.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could just be a tire rubbing with that old of a suspension. Stock tires could rub if sagged enough. I'd change the front springs and shocks. What is the measurement from the edge of the fender flare to the center of the wheel? I'd check all four corners.