Jeep keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this is old news or what, but its new to me, so I figured I'd share.
I went to True Value Hardware today for a spare house key, and they have a sign on the door advertising computer chip keys. So I asked about it, the guy behind the counter took my gray jeep key, stuck it in the machine, it beeped, and he said they have it, and it would cost $75. Doesn't the dealer charge $300? Sounds good to me

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Than whats the point? I do have 2 factory keys. Whats the process? Just wondering.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Than whats the point? I do have 2 factory keys. Whats the process? Just wondering.
It's in the owners manual.

If you have the chipped keys it's not supposed to be easy or cheap to replace,if it was why have such systems when any theif can get a chipped key made for a few bucks and drive away with your vehicle.Up until about 10 years ago you could just walk into a dealership and give them a VIN # and get the key cut,they didn't even ask if you owned the vehicle but now they do and require proof.

nitroproof

Reaction score
I bought a blank programmable key off the internet. I had two keys to start with, followed the instructions and programmed it myself. Local hardware store charged me $2 to cut it. Total investment was around 30 bucks.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At school my friends 07 jeep liberty i was able to unlock it and start it with my 05's key so what's with this chip stuff? All i did was wiggle my key in the ignition like you could the old chevy's and it started like a champ. But the alarm did go off when i got out locked the door and unlocked it again. I would most defiantly like to learn more about it if it they have special resistors or transducers?
Or was it just luck?

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At school my friends 07 jeep liberty i was able to unlock it and start it with my 05's key so what's with this chip stuff? All i did was wiggle my key in the ignition like you could the old chevy's and it started like a champ. But the alarm did go off when i got out locked the door and unlocked it again. I would most defiantly like to learn more about it if it they have special resistors or transducers?
Or was it just luck?

not all Libertys have transponder keys (none of mine do)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Or was it just luck?

Luck.

The keys are obviously similar enough, same thing happened to my mom in a Meijer parking lot when I was a kid.

About the transponder, every '05+ Liberty has a transponder key. The Jeep should have shut off after a couple seconds.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what model year did they start putting them in all keys? Would my 2002 have a transponder? I was under the impression that they all did.

as Marlon said they didn't start putting them in all keys until the 2005 facelift. If your 2002 has it you will have a telltale on the dash that comes on for a bulb check when you first start you Jeep. It looks like a key with a slash through it and it is under your Airbag light and to the left of the low-fuel light. Also I *think* the key will be gray (but I am not 100% sure about the gray key)

SoonerJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what model year did they start putting them in all keys? Would my 2002 have a transponder? I was under the impression that they all did.
Not even all 05 and up have them. Ours is an 05 and I have a plain old basic $2 spare key that I keep in the garage to move the Liberty around and another one hidden on the Liberty to use when I can't find the originals. They both work fine.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My 2002 Export CRD 2.5 has the transponder in the keys.
As stated elsewhere here, if you have the transponders then when you turn on the ignition and the lights go on in the console....you should see a KEY symbol with a line through it briefly light up....this is for the SKIM anti-theft system.

I did read on one of the other Jeep forums a procedure to re-program a new key provided that you have at least one of the original keys available:freak3:

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My U.S. spec 2006 CRD has the chip keys with the remote built in. you can get a chipped key at any hardware store or locksmith that sells them. you do need 2 keys to do the program for a 3rd or 4th one.

you can use a non- chipped key if you want a key to hide under the jeep in case you lock yours in or something. it will start the engine too but the engine will cut off after 10 seconds.

Lunch-box

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I am confident that I do not have that symbol light up, and I also have a grey key. I was ready to pay a guy big money for a transponder key and programming who told my wife that it had a transponder built in. The real test.... I will have a second key cut to and try it out.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not even all 05 and up have them. Ours is an 05 and I have a plain old basic $2 spare key that I keep in the garage to move the Liberty around and another one hidden on the Liberty to use when I can't find the originals. They both work fine.

That is weird because for 2005, Sentry Key and Keyless Entry both became standard for Model Year 2005.

Members online

No members online now.