Jeep Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Miata

Reaction score
What does your local dealer charge for Jeep keyless entry remotes?

My Jeep dealer wants $149 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (93 Grand Cherokee, 02 Liberty).

I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've purchased 3 remotes from ebay with no problems -
2 for my '03 Sebring, 1 for my '03 Liberty. Programming instructions are in the Owners Manual.

The ebay shops I bought from:
http://tinyurl.com/82jzf
http://stores.ebay.com/IHAVEAREMOTE4U

I even purchased a blank transponder key for my KJ for a lot less than dealer cost. Had it cut at a local hardware store, programmed by dealer for $25.

93Miata

Reaction score
Any other sources besides ebay or the dealer? With the hassle I've been through I'd really not want to try ebay again.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RKE programming

the dealer here wanted $90 CAD for the remote and $50 CAD for programming which is utterly ridiculous. I got the remote on ebay for $20 US and did the programming for free from the internet. I saved, well, you can do the math. Programming took me about 15 minutes to get used to it but otherwise, well worth it. The person i bought my remote from lived in North Carolina thru eBay. Not everyone is crooks but I was satisfied ordering from Ebay. You just have to look at their positive ratings.

fuji

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: RKE programming

fujitsubo said:
the dealer here wanted $90 CAD for the remote and $50 CAD for programming which is utterly ridiculous.

I only got one key when I bought my KJ used at end of May. So went to the dealer for another sentry key. $70 CAD for key $60 for remote and $39 for programming both at same time. I had bought a key at Keyman in the local mall for $25 but couldn't program myself with only one key. After getting the one from the dealer, programming the keyman one was piece of cake using the instructions in owner's manual.
A week later the place I bought from phones and tells me they found the other key (banghead) so now I have lots of spares for mine.

93Miata

Reaction score
I did check feedback before each purchase and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, however, look now at what happened to one seller - Eagles_Wingz .

His feedback went from great to crap in just a few days. Also, I think the reason some of the others had good feedback is because they threatened to post a negative for me if I gave them anything but a positive feedback, simply because I was requesting a refund since the item was not as described.

I wasn't about to ruin my 100% rating after 6 years on ebay for some idiots.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
global-galleria-4 (ebay name) sold me my remotes. He was very good to deal with and had lots of positive feedbacks. the keys were from keygirl77 (i think and hope). I ended up paying an extra 4 dollars for postage to pick up the merchandise cuz she didn't pay properly BUT, I contacted her and told her to send me a refund for those 4 dollars or else I will post a negative feedback as I had already paid her shipping and handling costs. Low and behold, she did send me $4.00 back to my address. needless to say, I was pleased with my outcome and experience thru ebay. Yes there are scrupulous vendors out there, you just have to pray and hope your not a victim.

fuji

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare

The key I bought off eBay ended up being a gray one, for the built in security system that I don't have. But it worked. I got Key & FOB shipped for $40 and programmed for $20. Dealer said it would have been $210 for everything from them.

93Miata

Reaction score

93Miata

Reaction score
I got my remote from ThePartsYouNeed.com in the mail today. 4 days isn't bad especially when one was a Sunday.

Programming was easy, took about 10 seconds. I can't believe a dealership would charge 1/2 hour of labor for a 10 second job. Thats a good way to lose customers.

Anyhow, the remote works great and when I went to put in an order for remote for the Grand Cherokee I noticed I got free shipping, so I bought a 2nd remote for the GC so I'd have a pair for both. FINALLY I will have remotes that work and that I can use.

ThePartsYouNeed.com rocks!

hueyflyer

Reaction score
Hi, just exactly what is a transponder key? I see them on ebay for around $20 for my '05 and according to the ad, one can program it themselves as long as one has two working keys??

dnm45227

Reaction score
It's the "gray key of the past", as the salesman who sold us the '05 put it. It's part of the sentry key system. If you have it as an option on your kj, then only a key that's chip is programed for your ingnition will allow the jeep to start and run more than like 30 seconds. Some guys have bought non-transponder keys to use to just unlock the jeep, or put them in hide a key boxes, so they can leave the key fob w/ignition key in and not carry a bunch of keys around.

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hueyflyer said:
So can a regular key be cut to just open the doors?
yes I carry one with me at all times just in case I lose or lock in my main key

hueyflyer

Reaction score
Went to WallyWorld yesterday to have a entry key cut and was informed they cannot do it because of the remote being on the key.

93Miata

Reaction score
Walmart can only cut the OLD keys, that don't have chips, or remotes attached to them....just plain metal that you cut grooves into.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any true locksmith can cut the key, for the value of these keys I would stay way from Wal/K Marts, hardware stores, etc.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online