Jeep hood logo - fixing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So...my KJ at one time was involved in a minor front end collision. When they redid the "Jeep" logo on the hood - they messed up and placed the bottom of the "J" inline with the bottom of the "p" on the end. Who knows what the guys in the shop were :smokin: that day.

It looks pretty messed up and I want to fix it.

I've read that the letters can be removed by heating up and then slowly working fine fishing line underneath until they pop off. Once off - can they be reattached while the glue is still warm theoretically? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

dianic

Reaction score
Patience and a blow dryer... If you plan to reinstall with the same backing tape take it really slow, needs to come out intact.
Worse case, use some fishing line, and "saw" it off, clean the back of the letters and replace the backing tape with double sided 3M tape.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just remove them and toss them in the trash, looks better

Yeah that was the other option I was considering - simply take em off and use some stuff to remove remnants of the glue...

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half the foil on my "J" on the hood has disappeared. Can new letters be ordered from somewhere?

Dan

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So...my KJ at one time was involved in a minor front end collision. When they redid the "Jeep" logo on the hood - they messed up and placed the bottom of the "J" inline with the bottom of the "p" on the end. Who knows what the guys in the shop were :smokin: that day.

It looks pretty messed up and I want to fix it.

I've read that the letters can be removed by heating up and then slowly working fine fishing line underneath until they pop off. Once off - can they be reattached while the glue is still warm theoretically? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I de-badged the Jeep emblem on the back of the Jeep. When I did it, there was almost no way to salvage the emblem. In fact, some of the letters somehow came off in pieces!!! I wouldn't suggest trying to re-attach the same letters. If you decide to remove the letters, do it on a hot day. Then use a hair drier on the emblem for about a minute or two, then use dental floss to get behind the letters and start picking them up off of the Jeep. If you want to be a little less gentle, use a flathead screwdriver with a towel between it and the Jeep (clearly you'll need to use the floss to get a lip for this to fit under). One you're done, I suggest Goo Gone to get rid of the excess glue. I'm sure you can use something else, but this worked best and supposedly is not bad for your clear coat. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Half the foil on my "J" on the hood has disappeared. Can new letters be ordered from somewhere?

Dan

Check my avatar bro! I sanded mine and re-painted it (mine was actually in good shape. I just got bored one day). I used to have pictures of the project. I literally taped EVERY part of the emblem off (I had to cut very VERY tiny pieces to fit in between the letters. I also used a special lining tape that was very flexible and could almost stretch under the emblem letters using a flathead), masked off the rest of the Jeep with a ton of paper, then spraypainted it (using graphite wheel paint I had left over from painting my wheels).

It's actually not as bad as it sounds. I think it's very unique too. I did it for my friend's emblem because the foil was coming off of his emblem as well. The total time takes about an hour (mostly masking off. If you're better at masking off, then you should be even faster). The lining tape that I got was from my autobody shop, so I wouldn't really know where you could purchase it.

...Anyways I've typed too much. Just some food for thought. :)

Attachments

• Emblem.jpg
    Emblem.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 44

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I de-badged the Jeep emblem on the back of the Jeep. When I did it, there was almost no way to salvage the emblem. In fact, some of the letters somehow came off in pieces!!! I wouldn't suggest trying to re-attach the same letters. If you decide to remove the letters, do it on a hot day. Then use a hair drier on the emblem for about a minute or two, then use dental floss to get behind the letters and start picking them up off of the Jeep. If you want to be a little less gentle, use a flathead screwdriver with a towel between it and the Jeep (clearly you'll need to use the floss to get a lip for this to fit under). One you're done, I suggest Goo Gone to get rid of the excess glue. I'm sure you can use something else, but this worked best and supposedly is not bad for your clear coat. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Check my avatar bro! I sanded mine and re-painted it (mine was actually in good shape. I just got bored one day). I used to have pictures of the project. I literally taped EVERY part of the emblem off (I had to cut very VERY tiny pieces to fit in between the letters. I also used a special lining tape that was very flexible and could almost stretch under the emblem letters using a flathead), masked off the rest of the Jeep with a ton of paper, then spraypainted it (using graphite wheel paint I had left over from painting my wheels).

It's actually not as bad as it sounds. I think it's very unique too. I did it for my friend's emblem because the foil was coming off of his emblem as well. The total time takes about an hour (mostly masking off. If you're better at masking off, then you should be even faster). The lining tape that I got was from my autobody shop, so I wouldn't really know where you could purchase it.

...Anyways I've typed too much. Just some food for thought. :)

Very cool idea. That thought didn't cross my mind. Sounds like a great Instructables.com project.

Dan

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Your dealership can certainly get them in - or you should be able to find them online at places such as:

MoparOnlineParts.com: Buy Mopar Car Truck Parts | Genuine Discounted Mopar OEM Auto Parts | Mopar Accessories

I've read good things about the site above from another thread...but I'm in Canada.

I'm thinkin I may just take em off...

Took mine off 165000 miles and 7 years ago :happy175:Never missed them. My wife said she wouldn't ride in it if I removed them. She did :happy175:

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're ever up North in Jersey let me know! I'll do it for you. :)

Hey, thanks for the offer. Haven't been up that way in a very long time. Used to run up to NYC periodically.

I'll either paint them or take them off. As unimportant as it is, silver foil coming off some of the letters looks lousy.

Dan

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the offer. Haven't been up that way in a very long time. Used to run up to NYC periodically.

I'll either paint them or take them off. As unimportant as it is, silver foil coming off some of the letters looks lousy.

Dan

Only 30 minutes outside of the city. Just hit me up!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I have a more cost effective solution...

I have a more cost effective solution to refurbish your existing chrome Jeep lettering.

But it does require a delicate touch with an X-Acto knive.

Go to a sign shop and ask them if they have any scrap adhesive Chrome vinyl material
(Or any other colour that you might fancy.) that they can give you for free or sell you for real cheap.
If the letters have started to peel, remove the remaining chrome foil.
Then clean the lettering with windex. Once clean and dry apply the new chrome sign makers vinyl and Carefully trim the vinyl with a new X-Acto blade around the Jeep letters; Do not cut too deep or you can damage the vehicles paint finish!
All said and done it shouldn't take longer than about 30-45 minutes and cost you next to nothing to refinish the Jeep logos.

Although the logos on ours are still in really good condition, I'm toying with the idea of using 3M Scotchlite Reflective Vinyl Material on our Jeep, Liberty, 4X4, and 3.7 letters.
I have Green, Red, Blue, , Silver, White, Gold, and Yellow among all my art supplies.
Now it's just a matter of which colour to choose first!

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Lets get back to the original post...

You're a good one because there is no way I'd have taken the Jeep back that way. I don't care if it is just a badge. I like my vehicles back from the body shop in as factory looking condition as possible. It's obvious they just re-used the original badge and had no desire to buy a new one, which is what they should have done, and had measurements to line it up just right.

With that said, I have seen the problem you're talking about and it is annoying.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets get back to the original post...

You're a good one because there is no way I'd have taken the Jeep back that way. I don't care if it is just a badge. I like my vehicles back from the body shop in as factory looking condition as possible. It's obvious they just re-used the original badge and had no desire to buy a new one, which is what they should have done, and had measurements to line it up just right.

With that said, I have seen the problem you're talking about and it is annoying.

The repair happened before I bought it...so when I did buy it I said to myself I'd either get it fixed, fix it myself or just remove them altogether...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The repair happened before I bought it...so when I did buy it I said to myself I'd either get it fixed, fix it myself or just remove them altogether...

Ahhh. Well I wouldn't have bought it. :p

However in this case, I'd just take that badge off and stick a new one on there. :)