JBA Matrix bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing the JBA Matrix bumper. The build quality looks great.
I'm wondering if anyone has or had one and could provide some feed back on it?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one love it, it's vary well built Tommud did testing on them so you can pm him but I believe the bracket on the right side will have to be trimed for you year unless they have updated it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing the JBA Matrix bumper. The build quality looks great.
I'm wondering if anyone has or had one and could provide some feed back on it?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

First its not a bumper, its a brush guard. The main frame is very well built for sure. With the 05-07s we found that a portion of the mounting plate had to be trimmed ( which JBA updated their design) and also you just have a flat plate not a hitch mount . Other than that , mounts easy enough, has a good location for D-rings and you can pull from them, very strong.
I have one sitting in my basement if you need some further pictures etc. I did do some "muddifications" to it to run without a bumper cover for a while . :emotions34:

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Tomm. Are the mounts different for 02-05 then the 06-07? I just wondering for ordering because I do want to get the hitch mount.

I can get it with the hitch mount I just need to cut a bit out of my bumper, correct?
May eventually do one of the Warn hitch mount winch systems so the hitch mount is a big deal to me.

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the front hitch mount and yes had to cut the front bumper, pictures are in my photo album if you want to see. I use the front hitch to move canoe trailers at our youth camp by the farm.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours is the one in the JBA site. Thanks for the photos. Looks great. I figure for the extra $10 to get the hitch mount and the extra versatility, then why not.

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Tomm. Are the mounts different for 02-05 then the 06-07? I just wondering for ordering because I do want to get the hitch mount.

I can get it with the hitch mount I just need to cut a bit out of my bumper, correct?
May eventually do one of the Warn hitch mount winch systems so the hitch mount is a big deal to me.

Mounts are the same from 02-12 basically

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the appeal of this brush guard over the rock lizard bumper for the same price?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the appeal of this brush guard over the rock lizard bumper for the same price?

Allows you to keep the original bumper on the vehicle. I would assume added weight. a full bumper would weigh a lot more and possibly require the use of stiffer springs to prevent sagging. Toss on a winch plate and winch and that's even more weight to sag it down with a full bumper.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But holy crap, $800 for a bumper guard. Hit a regular car in the corner and the stock plastic bumper cover is still going to get damaged, and those outrigger tubes will bend around and crunch the flares. Looks a little nifty though! ;)

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big problem with the Rock Lizard bumper for me is getting it. The shipping to Canada is most likely as much as the bumper itself. The big appeal with the Matrix is it completely comes apart and shipping is only $100.

Alan

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're talking about two completely different things, a brush guard is not a bumper which is not a brush guard. Its not comparing apples to apples, you're comparing apples to peaches.
I've had the ARB, The Matrix and the RL on mine so far

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to knock either choice. Just curious what others thought the pro's and con's of each were.

:Hump:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to knock either choice. Just curious what others thought the pro's and con's of each were.

:Hump:

Matrix Brush Guard-
good
keep the stock bumper
good tow points to attach to
good places to mount extra lights
Cons
wings are not as strong

Aftermarket steel bumper
much more robust
good tow points
can mount a winch
mount lights easier than stock bumper
Cons
:shrug:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get the Rock Lizard front bumper. trust me, you will not be dissapointed. In my opinion it's the best bumper for the KJ.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving the dead. Is the hitch mount on the "Matrix" strong enough to use a Warn hitch mount winch system?

Of course the hitch mount is only on the 02-04 model, BUT with a very light straight line pull, maybe, anything else I'd say no.
Its not that the mounting system is weak but the mount/receiver where the winch would mount to isn't strong enough I don't think

Members online