jack stands vs ramps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepmedic46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure which would be better to get. Jack stands or ramps to change oil and fluids? If I get jack stands best place to put them?:smiley_drive:

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need anything to get under the KJ? I can just roll right under mine! Just wait till I get a lift!

I use jack stands, they are more handy..Lets say you need to change the brakes...Can't do that with ramps!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use stands, your life is worth it. Put the jack stand right behind the front tires on the frame. Theres a notch in the metal, that is where you put the stand

Last edited:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something other than what most stores sell. Look for double locking. Personally I got 6 ton rated, overkill but piece of mind is worth it.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack stands are all about the same and most are made by the same company
I have some of the "hondo" 6 ton jobs ,I think may be 3 ton
I have 2 sets
1 harbor freight ,cheep maybe $30 for the pair
1 Mac Tools ,free from working with a movie production but probably cost $200+
both are exactly the same
The only reason I got them is because I needed some that were tall enough to hold up my lifted TJ at the frame and these ,even at 24", do not cut it
so I built some "lift pads" out of 2 X 12's made them 24 X 24 and 4" high
heavy as shait but they work great

Think of it like this
if a jack stand is rated at 3 tons then that = 6,000 #'s
that single stand will hold up you entire KJ ,KJ = ~5,000 #'s or less in most cases
if you put 1 on each side that is 12,000 #'s worth of Jack stand and if you need 4 to hold up the entire KJ that is 24,000 #'s worth of Jack stand
with those 4 jack stand you could hold nearly 5 KJ's
so yes the cheep ones are fine in the case of jack stands
if you want to feel comfortable get the ones with the through pins and replace the pins
with grade 8 bolts ,the pins are going to be = to a grade 5 bolt
me I trust my cheepos
but then again I have 24 tons worth of jack stand ,that is 48,000 #'s worth
or just under 10 of my TJ

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Ramps. Not cheap ones though. Mine are made of steal and not plastic like most of them now a days. I think Jack stands are a little over kills for a 15 minutes Job.

I do have a have pair of jack stands for the bigger and longer projects. I got 6 ton jacks for like $20-25 from harbor frieght. They go on sale ever couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I saw a car that was jacked up, but ramps were used under all four tires, the ramp part facing each other toward the center of the car. SO, that means they jacked it up, and placed the ramps under, one end at a time... That's safe, it won't roll off, since it can't fall either way, the ramps face each other...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw a car that was jacked up, but ramps were used under all four tires, the ramp part facing each other toward the center of the car. SO, that means they jacked it up, and placed the ramps under, one end at a time... That's safe, it won't roll off, since it can't fall either way, the ramps face each other...

Sounds like the best of both worlds!!! I'd go with the jack stands, because we like to do repairs with the wheels off.....they'd be more usefull overall.

Latest posts

Members online