Jack help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexDisaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" rough country lift and the goodyear wrangler mtr 245 75 16 and obviously the jack that comes with the car no longer works and doesnt reach...right? so what kind of jack do I need to be able to lift it enough? I have a bottle jack that I believe is a two ton but before the tire gets off the ground it starts to go up and then goes back down. Im aware of the Hi-lifts but it doesnt seem like those are kj friendly

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your local salvage yard for a nice big scissor jack from a pickup truck. Usually small enough to fit under the rear seat and plenty strong enough to lift the KJ a pretty good distance.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry several cut slabs of 2x12 that were left over from steps. A couple of those would make a nice firm base for a bottle jack and start it off higher to begin with.

Dave

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine came with a scissor jack from the factory and I am able to rotate my tires with it. I have a 3" lift and 31's. It's not the best jack in the world, but it gets the job done, and I also carry a set of jack stands in the back too. :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the stock bottle jack and it works great. I only have 245/70/16 tires but it lifts it off the ground more than an inch.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem w/ a hi-lift is unless you have rock rails or custom bumpers, your ability to lift the vehicle safely is limited. You can use a tire lift adapter but you most likely will also need another jack for other times when the HL won't work. I have hi-lifts on all my Jeeps but rarely drag them out to use. It is one of those items that you may someday need but probably not for lifting the vehicle. oh fwiw, the 48"-er should fit under most KJ back seats.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock scissor jack it's gone...

My stock scissor jack it's gone... So maybe I need another jack... I say maybe b/c I already have a 48'' farm jack.

So, If I put some rock rails to the KJ, will be I able to lift it enough to safely change a tire?

Or just look for an hydraulic bottle jack... I kind of sorry don't have the stock "Jeep" jack bolted below the back seat anymore... Does any of you for instance have a photo of the stock "Jeep" bottle jack? It also goes bolted below the back seat?

Thanks in advance :)

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have the front d rings and assuming you have a hitch you can use a hi lift on those points. open your tailgate and put it in the receiver or put it through a d ring..

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to do that? By the way, I don't have front D rings (just a tow eye bracket)... I don't have a hitch either (again, just a tow eye bracket)... :(

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh dang sorry I saw alexdisaster's avatar and for some reason thought it was his OP and yes its safe. I know of another guy that does it.

and a tow eye?? like this? http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/DSC00121.jpg

if so then maybe a big scissor jack or carry some wood to stack under the jack. That's how i lift my in my garage. a block of wood and a couple layers of plywood under jack stands.

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does any of you for instance have a photo of the stock "Jeep" bottle jack? It also goes bolted below the back seat?

Yes, it bolts under the rear seat. I'm at work now but I can post a picture later if somebody doesn't beat me to it.