Is this wax good???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was cleaning the garage and I found a new bottle of Meguire's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax....is it any good??? I'm assuming it's good, but what's your opinion......

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like maguire products.. I use them all the time for my Libby...

That sounds like an older product though I think it will still do the job..

We don't have exquisite paint jobs on our Libbys, so as long as you have a wax on (wax off, sorry just had to) then your good.

I used to have two show cars and we only used Maguires and or Mothers.

My "Boom car" (1985 Chevy IROC-Z) had a Ferrari Pigment Red 254 paint with 15 coats of clear, talk about a mirror finish!! Looked like a puddle of blood..It took several hours to detail that body before a show..

My 68 RT had a Black onyx paint and I only used Mothers on that one, A Mothers pack was given to me by the body shop, so I just stuck with that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I do believe it's older, as I don't see it on the shelves at Wal Mart anymore. I to usually use Mother's or Meguire's products on my vehicles...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning the garage and I found a new bottle of Meguire's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax....is it any good??? I'm assuming it's good, but what's your opinion......

You mean does it have a shelf life??? It should work ok but maybe not as good as the newer stuff. You could try it out on the lawnmower deck or something.

Just a thought.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You mean does it have a shelf life??? It should work ok but maybe not as good as the newer stuff. You could try it out on the lawnmower deck or something.

Just a thought.

Dave

Maybe I'll try it on a bike or something.....

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was cleaning out my garage and found a bottle of Meguires #3 Carnuba liquild wax. Only had a little bit in it and since I had the safari rack off, I figured I'd just use it up. Popped the top and shook it onto the roof, boy did this stuff stink! Smelled like mildew and had alot of water. Kind of like it had separated. I shook the hell out of it and tried again, hmm not mixing back up and still smelled! I got the job done and it still worked. But I guess for sitting in the garage for at least 5 years the plastic bottle had become brittle and gotten a crack in it. When I squeezed the bottle the whole thing cracked. Thats how the water got in, I am ass uming.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine had seperated a bit, but I shook it up and squirted some out and looks like I expected for a liquid wax....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I re waxed the hood of the KJ with it...seems fine for quick touch ups. For a whole vehicle, not really.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Drove the KJ in the rain....beaded up fine, and it's still there after the rain.:)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meguiars Gold Class wax is a good wax but from what I can gather its a wax that makes the paint look awesome but its not a long lasting product. Its a good all around wax though!

Meguiars says the average shelf life for a product is 3-5 years but it depends on how its stored and what product it is. I have products that are older than that and they are fine, just shake them up good! Separating is normal if the product has sat for along time as long as it mixes up well when you shake it.

If a wax freezes typically its done... Just a FYI

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Freezing down here isn't an issue.....sad2.gif

I was also impressed with some Meg's Cleaner wax I found....it was 15 years old at least, and it worked well. Smelled odd, but I got a few light scratches out with it on the KJ.:D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, that cleaner wax can smell odd. Ive got some cleaner wax and it smells like wax but I also have some paste cleaner wax and it smells very strong. First time I smelled it, it actually burnt my nose... :confused:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, that cleaner wax can smell odd. Ive got some cleaner wax and it smells like wax but I also have some paste cleaner wax and it smells very strong. First time I smelled it, it actually burnt my nose... :confused:

Oh yeah...that was paste wax.

I still have the thing of it.....I could post a pic of Meg's old logo....:D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
15 year old Meg's Cleaner Wax-

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - Gold Class, The old #3 wax and the above picture cleaner wax will all stain black trim. If you do use the products, be sure to keep the away from any black trim.