Is the liberty really rugged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatfoot

Reaction score
Will be buying a new vehicle during the upcoming easter week(1st week of april) as the wifey is off from work that week.
We are narrowed down to two vehicles.
The question I want to ask, after reading countless reviews on line is this.

1) Is the liberty a truly heavy duty vehicle, or just another car underneath a body that says I am tough and rugged?

I know this question might upset some people, but I see so many different opinions on the liberty it is driving us crazy.

Consumer reports(I know its not neccessarily the best place for opinions on cars) but they rate customer satisfaction as worse then average, yet show reliability as average.

It is showing people are not to happy with their liberty.

If the liberty is truly a heavy duty vehicle(and not just heavy in tonnage) I want the car, but not at the sacrifice of regretting the purhcase six months down the road.

I have owned mostly foreign cars and all have been reliable. My toyota sequoi has 150,000 miles and never a problem. My wifes camry 180,000 miles and nary a problem.

We are considering an 4wd highlander, but really dont want to pay that much for the vehicle, and dont want a vehicle that large, since our garage space is limited and tight.

So, If I go with the liberty, will the car hold up over the years to come? Would you buy your liberty again?

Much regards

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that I love mine (the second one which we've owned) and that the thing is built like a tank. The only problem which we've had was the upper ball joint recall on the first one (which was taken care of quickly) and a very slight leak from the front output seal on the transfer case on the other one (and replacing it was about a one-hour job for the service department.) I'll guaran-damn-tee you that our Jeeps have been much better-built vehicles and have had far, far fewer problems than did the Chevrolet and Ford products which we've owned in the past.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to get a biased opinion when you go to an enthusiast site :-$. That being said, I have a 2003, with 70,000 miles (owned since 20,000), & other than maintenance, have have not put a dime into it. My wife is a paper sales rep, so she drives the snot out of it with about 300 pounds of paper samples in the back!

I kinda doubt that it will be as reliable as your Toyotas, but I may be wrong.

As far as tough, here's some quotes from LOST--

"...I recently towed a Mini Excavator on a braked trailer with my CRD, and that was with the 245/75/16's and heavy @$#% 16x8 steelies on too. It weighed 4400Lbs + around 80ltrs of fuel, 2 Adults and one 50Kg Rhodesian Ridgeback in the car !!"

"My boss sent a co-worker out in our parking lot today to hook up to a F-250 dually deisel with a J-Hook and pull it into the shop cause it was too cold for it to start.Our wrecker is a F-350 deisel sling lift.With another co-worker in the disabled truck our wrecker driver eased out and took slack from the chain in hopes to pull the disabled truck around the building and into the shop.As soon as the slack was gone in the chain our wrecker sunk in about 6 inches of snow with hard pack below that.at this point the chain was tight and our wrecker would neither go forward or backwards.My boss turned to me and said "Do you think that little libberty of yours might be able to pull the disabled truck into the shop if we cut the chain from our wrecker?"I said "NO need to waste a good chain,Ill just hook to our wrecker and pull them both around and into the shop." At this point I was remembering a story about a man who once pulled a semi-tractor,in neutral,up a long snowy grade with his liberty.I jumped at the chance to see if this story could be true,so I hooked up to the now stuck Deisel Duo.I pulled all the way up into 4Low,eased down on the throttle,and all three vehicles were moving with what seemed to be little effort.When I got around the building and into our drive thru shop,all seven employees were standing there with their mouths wide open.I heard things like "No way","I can"t believe this" and so on.After today I can testify that the little liberty has proved to be a GREAT all purpose vehicle. And you can quote me on this! "

All that, & a bag of chips! \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The liberty is NOT a car based SUV like the Highlander is.

The only reason that people dont like the libby, they are pansy's and they dont like the ride or the gas mileage. [-X

People like that should buy a Toyota product.

Yes, my parents do own a corolla, got to have something to save on gas. (whistle)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's true what Jeepster said about how car magazine writers don't always like the ride, as they want it softer more like a car. The Liberty is a Jeep, but still, I have never thought it was too rough.

It's 4x4 system is awesome, and combine it with Selec-Trac, it's great for the money. In fact the entire Liberty is a great value for when you don't want to spend the money on a Grand Cherokee, but still want the same type of vehicle.

I have had next to zero problems with the KJ (coming up on three years now). I have thought about owning a CRD WK (Jeepster knows all about that!), but it would be crazy to get rid of the KJ unless I get a promotion. We like it a lot! And, it's not some pansy small SUV like the Escape, CRD, etc. (biggrin)

And as far as Toyota, sure they make good cars. But you'll just have a Toyota, and not a Jeep.

Good luck in the decision.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sure it is. I've climbed hills, hit potholes, driven way too fast for road conditions, splashed water puddles, busted right through snow drifts, driven over ladders (long story... darn I-75...), driven over water covered roads, hole filled dirt roads..... pulled a car out of a stiff mudhole... I could go on... in 3 Libertys over the last 2.5 years.

In other words, everything that I've put a Liberty through... it... just.... took every bit of it like it was nothing.

I'd buy another one. oh wait, I've done that already. lol3.gif

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Liberty, sure is has a few issues here and there, but you would be hard pressed to find any other vehicle that you won't find something wrong with or a recall now-a-days. For me it's the driver's seat, and it would be nice if they (DCX) had done a non-carpeted cargo area, but I fixed that.
I've climbed out of creeks, in just 2wd, never having to switch into 4wd, I've been backed into twice, zero damage. The toyota on the toher hand, needed new chrome on it's bumper.
It is built very tough.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owned mine for almost 4 years without any problems-Will never buy anything but 4wd since buying the KJ.

Also own a honda civic which was good for about 125k, now it seems I do repairs every couple months-all costly.

The gas mileage is a small issue but I feel much safer driving the KJ and don't worry so much getting hit as when I drive the honda.

jimheem

Reaction score
you won't find a car magazine or other type magazine,review or website that says good things about ANY Jeep. They are too rough and truck-like for these people that are used to test driving CARS or CAR-BASED "SUVs"

You should see how badly these rags tear apart Jeep Wranglers. Come on, there is nobody alive that doesnt know about the legendary Jeep Wrangler.

On the same token, is the Liberty - but the Liberty gets it even worse than the wrangler does.. because at least it LOOKS like it should feel like a cushy "CAR".

Believe me, it's all Jeep. I'm a long time Jeeper, My first Jeep was a 1978 CJ7, and I've owned mostly all Jeeps. I just put my wife in a Liberty, after her Land Rover blew a head gasket at 160,000 miles. And oh, on that note, I can't say for sure about the Liberty since ours has only 50,000 miles - but I didn't get rid of ONE of my Jeeps until well after 250,000 miles. I know my old Cherokee is still running at 450,000 miles - I gave it to my brother at 300,000.

Bottom Line, Jeeps are well built vehicles - OVER built - which is why you will see the negative comments from people that can't understand the rough around the edges aspect that comes along with being overbuilt.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have driven over 170,000 Kilometers on my 04 KJ

i love the damm thing i have had a few repairs mainly due to my own stupidity ,

as fas as rugged

just compare the front and rear suspension to the yota

the KJ is all Cast And Forged Steel the yota will be pressed metal ( you will see the difference right away)

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah marlon and its still running like a dream with no rattles anywhere & it it plays offroad every second weekend

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
fouros said:
yeah marlon and its still running like a dream with no rattles anywhere & it it plays offroad every second weekend
Right! My '04 had one rattle... a cold weather rattle. Other than that..... none! This one? NONE AT ALL. My sister's KJ? Nothing there either.

So basically what we're trying to say... it's a tank!

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what sold my g/f and me on the Liberty. We rented one for a weekend and took it to my parents cottage (think Canadian shield). Long story short, instead of spending the weekend at the cottage, we were finding any excuse we could to drive around in the Liberty. Any vehicle that does that has to be worth serious consideration when it comes purchase time.
6 months later we rented one again (mid-Canadian winter) and by chance it happened to snow about 6-7" that day. We went around helping people that were stuck (pushing by hand... it was a rental after all). And had a blast trying to get it stuck... unsuccessfully.
These two rental experiences put the Liberty in our top 5 vehicles under consideration. 6 months later, after a few test drives, the Liberty ended up as the #1 and we purchased a loaded Limited 4x4.

Here's my take (neg. & pos.)
- it eats lots of fuel relative to other SUV's that are equally sized (highlander has better mpg, and it's bigger)
- cargo room isn't very big... if you're thinking camping, it's really only big enough for two people + camping gear (Highlander with 3rd row gone is only slightly bigger, that said, the Highlander can also seat more and with rear two rows gone, is big inside)
- leather seats (even heated) are still (initially) cold in the winter and WAY too hot in the summer (I'd recommend cloth)
- stock tires are terrible (Highlander's are probably no better)

- !!BEST THING!! get the Selec-Trac transfer case, you won't be disappointed (Highlander doesn't have this)
- towing capacity is unmatched for it's size (Highlander's is way less)
- the Jeep is well built and has a solid pleasing ride without too much harshness or too much softness (it's not a tin can or a Cadillac)
- in speech, a Jeep will always be referred to as "Jeep" a Highlander will be referred to as "truck" example: "Go pull your Jeep around front" will turn into "Go pull your truck around front"

- highlander has a hybrid model that says "not recommended for off-road" (I'm confused as to whether this is a positive or a negative attribute?)

Whatever you choose I highly recommend a lengthy test-drive (several day rental is best). So get over to Thrifty's and rent a Liberty already, you've only got 4 weeks left until April!!!

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Highlander is a car on steroids. If you want a car that has more, get it. If you want a 4WD off-roading beast that does great on the road, get a Liberty. It is built solid underneath. The complaints are from Jeep ******** (TJ, CJ, YJ, JK, Grand Wagoneer, etc) that don't like KJ's just because it is an IFS and looks cute or those that thought they were getting a RAV4/CRV copycat and found out the MPH was below those two model standards.

I want to see a Highlander, Rav4, CRV out here doing these things:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will find a no questions asked to get a Liberty over a Highlander if you experience any of the following conditions:
  • 1.) Non-smooth roads
  • 2.)Rain
  • 3.) Snow
  • 4.) Hilly terrain
  • 5.) Bad weather
  • 6.) Muddy shoes
  • 7.) Towing
  • 8.) Mall parking lots
  • 9.) Soccer Practice

\:D/

jeepnaround

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty and my dad has a 2006 Highlander Hybrid 4x4 limited. The gas is better for the Highlander (partially because of the hybrid) and the ride is a little smoother, but those are really the only advantages I notice. The Highlander drives much more like a car, is really short in height, seats more people and feels a little heavier and longer than my Jeep. If that's what you're looking for then it's a pretty good car.

However, there is no comparison when you're talking about driving in the snow or even dirt roads. The Jeep is much more capable and has been completely problem free since a dead battery a week after I bought it. If you're looking for a nice, efficient ride, go with the Highlander. If you're looking for something that will succeed on more than just paved road I'd go with the Liberty.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need fuel economy, fantastic smooth ride, fast cornering ability, you don't tow, go off road. drive in snow, or have to ever get somewhere no matter what the weather conditions, etc etc then you should look at cars.

Remember, a car (or car based SUV) is not a Jeep...... A Jeep is not a car. When people refer to a Jeep as a car that is like going to the zoo to see the lion and calling it a kitty cat. They might both belong to the "cat family" but they are "breeds apart".

Good luck with your decision, but make sure you get what you want/need so you will be happy.

Dave

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my CRD in '05 I could of sworn that the Libs were on the Consumer to buy list. The Highlander is a Camry with a different body, try towing or going somplace nasty with that. The Libs will turn around almost without moving the inner rear wheels, U-turns, parking, backing up and changing direction on a single track is a snap. If reliability, gas mileage, smoothest ride is you priorities get something else. All real 4X4s need a little extra maintenance because they push the design limits to get better performance in the nastiest, tightest conditions. When the snows hits while at work, the 4X4 guys herd up the other rigs in their general home area and make sure they get home. More than once I've had to suck up a short tow to my rear bumper and pull the other rig through a drift and virtually into his garage than maneuver out around him so he could get the rest of the way in. No rigs you've mentioned I know of will do that.

cowpie1

Reaction score
Is the Liberty a true 4 wheeler or just a large car.... let's see.

I have used mine to round up cattle on our farm in mud I wouldn't want to have to walk in.

I have used it to pull my semi tractor up my drive because the truck couldn't get traction on the snow/ice.

I have used it to pull a 300 gallon fuel wagon (loaded).

I have used it to pull a grain wagon out to the field.

I have used it to pull a Interstate Batteries truck out of the ditch when it slid off the road.

I have gone through so much snow in my fields that I feel like a polar bear. Even chased my dogs thru the snow in a corn field. (sorry PETA, they enjoy the chase).

If you can get a Ford Escape or RAV4 to do these things with ease my Liberty does them, prove it. I will be more than happy to go up against any similar sized SUV out on the farm. Good luck.... You'll need it!

Oh... by the way. That is while getting an average of 24 MPG with my diesel powered Liberty.