Is Les Schwab right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went down to the local Les Schwab tire store to see my options for M/T tires. They gave me some options starting at 245/75R16.
The first was Maxxis Bighorn.
You must be registered for see images

The second was Dick Cepek Mountain Cat E/T.

They seem to think they should be able to fit without a lift kit, which is contrary to everything I have read. With the stock rims will I be able to modify anything to make them fit, or is a lift required.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep 245/70's on stock rims is about the biggest you can go without rubbing(may have some with MT tires at full lock and flexing),will need a lift to run 245/75's unless you have a KJ that was made before April 12th 2002(that sits 3/4" higher then later KJ's).

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out where the Les Schwab guy was coming from. My Ford Escape will fit 245/75R16 tires with no issues. My Jeep which comes with the same size tire stock, not so much. What size lift kit is the minimum. I was looking for the OME springs but I only found one web site out there and it wasn't very helpful.

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am now undecided between tires. I am thinking BFG Commercial T/A Traction, Dunlop Radial Rover R/T, and Firestone Destination M/T. These are fairly cheap and will go onto the wife's Escape once I get a lift and one of the tires above. Any one have input?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
yep running to the mall and back will be fine with those on the Escape, try going out on a trail and flexing some ????

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Escape is not completely useless, I was able to get it a little bit muddyish without getting stuck.

My Escape is not going to sporting a Trail Rated badge or 31" Swampers, but it could at least fit the tires. Just to avoid confusion the red Escape is not mine.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way you are going to fit 245/75 on a stock KJ. Your going to need a lift to fit that. If you want go cheap get a BB, daystar is the best. I'm running OME springs on Rancho shocks, and love 'em. I got around 2", but you can probably get more out of HD springs, i'm running medium.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way you are going to fit 245/75 on a stock KJ. Your going to need a lift to fit that. If you want go cheap get a BB, daystar is the best. I'm running OME springs on Rancho shocks, and love 'em. I got around 2", but you can probably get more out of HD springs, i'm running medium.
Not true,I ran 245/75's(stock rims) on my '02 KJ for about 6 months(swapped them on my KJ from my Grand before it left the lot) until they where 50% worn.I only rubbed very slightly on the foglamp access doors at full lock,then again I have a pre-lowered KJ and that extra 3/4" helped out alot.

They won't fit on a lowered KJ though.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my Rusty's leveling spacer lift (1.75" front), I wouldn't be able to run 245/75's without rubbing. I didn't have any issue with pounding the pinch if needed, but I would most certainly rub well on the sway bar, at least with the Grabbers.

My 70 series grabbers rub on it at full lock.