Is it true two wheel drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok quick question. is the Jeep liberty a true two wheel drive?

I know that jeep has true 4 wheel drive but now that I have a only a 2 wheel drive system (which makes me very sad) I am wondering just how many wheels spin when I hit the gas in my 2005 renegade.

Tigrou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this could be a beginning of reply

In France

There's juste ONE true 4 wheel drive and it's the Limited version
the others are all true Two wheel drive thas you could switch to 4.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liber said:

I know that jeep has true 4 wheel drive but now that I have a only a 2 wheel drive system (which makes me very sad) I am wondering just how many wheels spin when I hit the gas in my 2005 renegade.

Check your window sticker for the trac-loc limited slip differential. If you have that, then you are going to have two spinning wheels. Otherwise it's just one like every other 2wd.

And just so you know, even the 4wd is limited to two spinning wheels (one in front, one out back) unless you have the trac-loc, which brings it to three (sorta). The only way to really get "true" 4wd is to have front and rear lockers (not limited slip), as with limited slip, if there is zero traction, one tire will still spin. It needs at least a slight amount of traction in order to distribute power. You can get around this by using the eBrake trick.

The trac loc is included either as an option of its own or as part of the offroad package (pre-2006). Chances are if you have a 2wd liberty, they didn't add the offroad package, so you're probably out of luck. The good news is, you can always add a LSD or even a full locker to the rear end pretty easily.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the two-wheel drive only model (where only the rear wheels have power)...

Jeep offers:
Command-Trac, which when engaged, the front and rear axles are locked together. This can only be used on slippery road surfaces, not on dry pavement. Having the axles locked is the best option for when you really need four-wheel drive, such as in snow, or mud.

Selec-Trac, offers locked (as with Command-Trac) or unlocked front and rear axles. When unlocked, this allows for four-wheel drive use on any road surface, including dry pavement. This is good to have for mixed road conditions. This is offered as an upgrade on the Sport and Limited, and is standard on the CRD.

See this link for more information (click on the Command-Trac and Selec-Trac for demos).
http://www.jeep.com/liberty/4wd_capability.html

jarvis

Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
Liber said:

Check your window sticker for the trac-loc limited slip differential. If you have that, then you are going to have two spinning wheels. Otherwise it's just one like every other 2wd.

And just so you know, even the 4wd is limited to two spinning wheels (one in front, one out back) unless you have the trac-loc, which brings it to three (sorta). The only way to really get "true" 4wd is to have front and rear lockers (not limited slip), as with limited slip, if there is zero traction, one tire will still spin. It needs at least a slight amount of traction in order to distribute power. You can get around this by using the eBrake trick.

The trac loc is included either as an option of its own or as part of the offroad package (pre-2006). Chances are if you have a 2wd liberty, they didn't add the offroad package, so you're probably out of luck. The good news is, you can always add a LSD or even a full locker to the rear end pretty easily.

Post-2006, all Libertys have electronic traction control. No limited-slip differential (trac-loc) is available.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.thefergusons.us/kj/kj.htm

Invest in the locker to give your 4x2 what it needs, you'll be (dumbfounded) suprised at the capabilities. Do this even if you have trac-loc...don't shortchange your KJ.

If you don't rock climb, you have the advantages of less front end alignments, No CV axles, No exploding diffs, better gas milage and more.

Invest in a winch to get you through the extreme- extremes.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sooo..... uhhhhhh am i spinning one wheel? it's a 2005.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Yes,
and that one wheel just don't have enough umphh to push the heavy KJ out of wet grass. My first and only stuck was on the side of a wet grassed baseball field. Did not even tear the grass...stuck right on top of it with the wheel spinning. Had to have folks push me unitl I got momentum, it was very sad and I rectified it 2 days later.

With a locker I have tackled rocks, deep mud, very steep and LONG dry and wet muddy hill climbs, gravel, bottomless beach sand, river beds with wet rocks.

Its like the diff between night and a day with 2 suns.

"So....a 4 speed automatic with lockup torque converter means......?

I'm gonna leave that one for someone else =;

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how can I get one of these lockers?

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Find a 4wheeler shop or buy it from the I-Net and install it yourself or pay a shop to do it.

There are several diff types.

ARB air locker - expensive and many componets..great locker

Auburn gear makes many including the ECTED I'm installing (top Dog)

Richmond gear makes the Powertrax No-slip - can make noise and affect on-road handling (turning) but is awsome off road and cost effective. This is the one I have and is coming out tomorrow for the one above. I have a diff axle than most everyone else and it just makes too much noise in mine...I think yours would be fine.

There is detroit true-trac gear driven limited slip - Pretty close to a full locker performance if you learn how to work it. This is a very sweet device and drives well on the street!!

When you finish, you'll have as many wheels with power (and more power at that) than a stock 4x4

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 spd

Riv's Papaw said:
So....a 4 speed automatic with lockup torque converter means......? (dunno)

It means just that. It's 4 spd auto trans with a converter that "locks at a certain speed, usually around 37mph, you can feel it sometimes. Nothing to do with the "locking" diffs, except to send power to them of course. O:)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, I think this guy is really confused. Liber, you need to find out if your jeep has a Limited slip rear end. There should be a sticker on the right side of the axle saying if its an open case, or if it has a limited slip. If it does have a limited slip, it will spin two tires sometimes. Thats why its called a limited slip, it still lets the wheels "slip". A locker can be bought from many places on the internet. I just bought a powertrax rear no-slip from a fellow lost memeber for around $200, new they are around $400. A locker will cause both the rear wheels to spin all the time and can cause wheel hop and binding. The rear corp 8.25 is strong enough for this though, it should never break.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude you rock.

Thats the answer exact answer I was looking for. Keep kicking ass.

so I guess I'm not going to bother with the locker, I don't want wheel hop, and all I need it for... is every now and then I take my jeep in a water retention pond and peel out a bit, the hill going out of the pond is a little steep and I can't get up it sometimes with out using a good amount of speed. one day I'm afraid I'll get stuck if it is too wet. So I wanted to know if I at least had 2 wheels getting stuck, cause it'd piss me off if I jsut had one wheel screwing me.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liber said:
so I guess I'm not going to bother with the locker, I don't want wheel hop, and all I need it for... is every now and then I take my jeep in a water retention pond and peel out a bit, the hill going out of the pond is a little steep and I can't get up it sometimes with out using a good amount of speed. one day I'm afraid I'll get stuck if it is too wet. So I wanted to know if I at least had 2 wheels getting stuck, cause it'd piss me off if I jsut had one wheel screwing me.

I think we could have been a little more clear on the locker. It's only when it's locked that the wheels skip. Some lockers are compressed-air or cable controlled, so they give you the ability to turn them on and off when needed (and when they are off, they behave just like an open diff and turn without hopping). The automatic lockers don't cause much wheel-hop at all, they are smart enough to disable when you are turning. Sometimes they just make a little bit of noise. The Limited Slip doesn't make any noise, really.

From your sig, I see you have a 2wd? If that's the case, I'd be VERY surprised if it came with the Trac-Loc. So yeah, in 2WD with no LSD or locker, it'll be just one tire holding you up.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Dude, I think this guy is really confused. Liber, you need to find out if your jeep has a Limited slip rear end. There should be a sticker on the right side of the axle saying if its an open case, or if it has a limited slip. If it does have a limited slip, it will spin two tires sometimes. Thats why its called a limited slip, it still lets the wheels "slip". A locker can be bought from many places on the internet. I just bought a powertrax rear no-slip from a fellow lost memeber for around $200, new they are around $400. A locker will cause both the rear wheels to spin all the time and can cause wheel hop and binding. The rear corp 8.25 is strong enough for this though, it should never break.

You should not get wheel hop with a powertrax if it is functioning properly. The wheels will spin at different rates if there is enough road friction. The 8.25 can break and I've seen it happen at moab on a KJ.

Liber for your type of applications the detroit true-trac is probably a great upgrade and should perfect for your application. Not really a true locker, but an excellent gear driven limited slip. Much better than the factory option, plus not clutch plates to wear out.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
jeepjeepster said:

You should not get wheel hop with a powertrax if it is functioning properly. The wheels will spin at different rates if there is enough road friction. The 8.25 can break and I've seen it happen at moab on a KJ.

Liber for your type of applications the detroit true-trac is probably a great upgrade and should perfect for your application. Not really a true locker, but an excellent gear driven limited slip. Much better than the factory option, plus not clutch plates to wear out.

Thats why I said it "can" hop. When pulling up our hill to our house, there is a big turn. Sometimes the gravels on the concrete can cause one wheel slip then the locker kicks in and causes it to hop around. My dads ford truck does it with his limited slip also, why it does it idk.

Ive never heard of an axle breaking on a libby, new one for me.
I always wondered how you all drove around on that rock in 4low and didnt break anything, I guess that answers my question!

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went under my car and the axle didn't have any stickers on it so I'm going to assume I have one wheel..... that *****.

I'm still tempted to jack up the back end and start it up to see what spins. But that jsut sound like a BAD idea all around.