Is it okay to park in 4HI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ808

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering... If you're in 4HI and you have to stop and turn off the vehicle for some reason, can you leave it parked in 4HI... then start it up again in 4HI? :-k

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that you dont park on blacktop thats covered in snow and then it melts leaving just blacktop.

Other than that, its ok to leave it in any selection. O:)

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Just make sure that you dont park on blacktop thats covered in snow and then it melts leaving just blacktop.

Why would this be an issue? How long does it take to shift back into RWD once you get rolling?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mkaresh said:
jeepjeepster said:

Why would this be an issue? How long does it take to shift back into RWD once you get rolling?
Thats what I was thinking, just get it rolling and shift back to 2WD. Now if someone forgot and ran a few miles it might be a problem, but I'm pretty sure they'd figure it out before then.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never had mine shift right out of part-time when I shift it out. I always shift it when I know I will be going straight for some time.

Ive had it get stuck in part-time in the drive-way many times. ](*,) It pops out very aggressively when I turn, which isnt good at all so I chose to never do that again. I find that it goes into Fulltime easier, so I put it into fulltime until I drive it the next time. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
why did you say the melting, etc..
YOu park in 4hi on the snow, it melts, all it does is it just moves a little bit, and when you want to start moving you just start moving and slip down to 2hi after a few feet.

I didn't get what the problem was with parking in 4HI ?
I parked in 4LO many times because it was a top iceberg like formation on my sidewalk... :-k

You must be registered for see images

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
why did you say the melting, etc..
YOu park in 4hi on the snow, it melts, all it does is it just moves a little bit, and when you want to start moving you just start moving and slip down to 2hi after a few feet.

Mine always gets stuck in part-time if I do not drive straight for a few hundred feet. If I am in a parking lot the snow melts, then I would be stuck in part-time. Its not good to drive on black-top in part-time. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Mine always gets stuck in part-time if I do not drive straight for a few hundred feet. If I am in a parking lot the snow melts, then I would be stuck in part-time. Its not good to drive on black-top in part-time. O:)

Yeah, I totally agree, if it gets stuck like that it will force those wheels to turn funny and uneven.. but weird for it to get stuck, just do a U turn and it will probably pop right out!?

My boss drove mine in 4x4 PART TIME on the highway, high speed.. UGH.. he said he thought it was "AWD, PART TIME, LIKE WHEN IT NEEDED" I said good job ](*,)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:

Yeah, I totally agree, if it gets stuck like that it will force those wheels to turn funny and uneven.. but weird for it to get stuck, just do a U turn and it will probably pop right out!?

My boss drove mine in 4x4 PART TIME on the highway, high speed.. UGH.. he said he thought it was "AWD, PART TIME, LIKE WHEN IT NEEDED" I said good job ](*,)

Doing a U-turn if its stuck in part-time will cause it to pop out aggressively. Thats not a good thing.. Just driving straight for a few hundred feet will get it out just fine. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are right, when i first got my KJ, I went back to dealer and said this jeep's got somethin wrong with it, it doesn't move when I turn, or I cannot park!, turns out i was driving in 4x4 Part Time.. 8-[

As for his question, I don't think there is anything wrong in parking and leaving in 4HI if you must..

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with it at all...I park in LO all the time, it's not a big deal whatsoever. Even if you do have to drive on dry pavement in 4 part time it's not even that big of a deal, a little bit of excessive tire wear that you probally won't even notice in the long run. Having it in 4part time isn't nearly as big of a problem as forgetting to turn off lockers (probally not an issue for you)...Don't worry about it, but try to remember to put it back in 2 once you get onto the dry stuff.

In my experience, it takes about 4-6 revolutions of the wheels to come out of 4wd-or about 40 feet or so.

kokali22

Reaction score
I dont see why not? People do it around here ALL the time. as for 4LO, I've had mine,"grind" when going from reverse to park in 4-LO. Thought it was kinda weird its like its got a drive of its own.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:

Doing a U-turn if its stuck in part-time will cause it to pop out aggressively. Thats not a good thing.. Just driving straight for a few hundred feet will get it out just fine. O:)
That's kinda odd Jeepjeepster,when I put that t-case lever in 2-hi it goes to 2-hi right away,no matter if I'm turning or not.I've never had a problem with my KJ "getting stuck" in 4x4.You may need to have your linkage adjusted.Oh by the way it is perfectally fine to park in 4-hi or 4-lo.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
jeepjeepster said:
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:

That's kinda odd Jeepjeepster,when I put that t-case lever in 2-hi it goes to 2-hi right away,no matter if I'm turning or not.I've never had a problem with my KJ "getting stuck" in 4x4.You may need to have your linkage adjusted.Oh by the way it is perfectally fine to park in 4-hi or 4-lo.

The select-trac (nv242) and command-trac (nv231) are different. The nv242 use the shifter to spring load the shift fork so sometimes it will get stuck in 4wd. The shifter in the nv231 connects directly to the shift fork.