Is it ok to use this grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like to ask if it is OK to use this grill insert. Would this restrict the air flow inside the engine bay?

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Mike64

Reaction score
I think, this will bring you serious coolingproblems (at least during summer),
because the vents are much to small.

Mike

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, they do look like they would restrict airflow a lot. However, they would be fine in the winter time in colder climates.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Only really good when the temperature drops well below 0 degree Celsius = 32 degree Fahrenheit.
Like when the temperature is nearing -40 degree Celsius/-40 degree Fahrenheit.
My poor little Dodge Colt had closed cell foam and cardboard on both sides of the rad and the electric fan un-plugged one winter in Northern Alberta, Canada because the temperature was -56 degree Celsius/-68.8 degree Fahrenheit regular outside temperature and...
And -63 degree Celsius/-81.4 degree Fahrenheit with the wind chill!
And no, the heater did not work. There was ice on the inside of the window from the condensation from my breath!:eek:

Last edited:

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are those rear view mirrors?

No, they are Cloud Rider stainless grill inserts.

al.

thanks for the reply.

Just want to clarify something because if this would restrict the air flow, are those grill insets of the same design that I see mostly on Limiteds not mopar's or stock inserts?

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would you want that. it will cause extra heat in the engine bay which is never a good idea.its super flashy almost mirror. you will piss off a lot of oncoming traffic. over all i think it will look terrible, not function, Dosnt fit in the jeep world

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You'd probably have some major cooling issues. The looks are up to you...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like to ask if it is OK to use this grill insert. Would this restrict the air flow inside the engine bay?

Yes-- serious restrictions on airflow across the radiator and transmission cooler. Some of us use a wire mesh grille. But this, however, in my opinion would be way too restrictive. Might work in a super-cold environment where you're suffering from overcooling. But my guess is you're not driving on the ICE Trucker road.

LibertyTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 winter, kinda, sorta, maybe, a little bit. but why on else would you. I can't imagine that they would at all look good and be functional, unless you live near the north pole. :D

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cant picture someone thinking that up and making it actually thinking it was a good idea

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just cant picture someone thinking that up and making it actually thinking it was a good idea

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, if you live in Northern Canada
or Alaska where the temperature in the winter easily gets to
-40 degree Celsius/-40 degree Fahrenheit and lower, then add wind chill; you see very many trucks, Jeeps, big rigs, with those grill inserts fitted.
Hell, one winter when I lived in central Alberta the temperature hovered around -49 degree Celsius/-56.2 degree Fahrenheit without any wind chill!:eek:
People go to the mall and leave their engine running/idling for up wards of two hours at a time! Rigs leave their engines running 24 hours a day!
Trust me, you don't need to live in Church hill, Manitoba or the North Pole for brutally cold weather!
Those things help. Might look ugly, and I agree, but non the less, they do the job!
The company work truck had them, and I kept it running while I did my job 14 to 16 hours a day so I could get in the truck every 20 minutes to warm up. That's when I had to drive to Athabasca, Lac La Biche, Bonnyville, or Grand Centre, Alberta from red Deer some 306 Km/190 miles to 498 Km/310 miles North at 4:00 am.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Am actually living in Saskatoon where the tempereatures during winter really drops to that point. Was interested with them when I experienced that morning where it took me around 40 minutes just to make the temp reach the 1/4 zone. Was thinking this ight help to warm up the engine faster.

My concern is when the summer heat comes, if this would cause a problem or I need to remove it during those times. Thanks anyways....

As for the look, I am not that much ioterested cause I want my jeep black.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would you want that. it will cause extra heat in the engine bay which is never a good idea.its super flashy almost mirror. you will piss off a lot of oncoming traffic. over all i think it will look terrible, not function, Dosnt fit in the jeep world

x2

(unless your in fear of bugs clogging your radiator faster than your motor can over heat.)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(unless your in fear of bugs clogging your radiator faster than your motor can over heat.)

My wire mesh grille inserts do a great job of keeping rocks and debris out of my radiator. That's why I love 'em so much. Something that looks cool and serves at least some functionality.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use in winter but not in summer. Lots of people put cardboard to block the airflow in the winter time up here. But in the summer time you will overheat.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2

You really don't live in a cold climate do you? :D

Think -40 and you have to drive to work in that temp. blocking the airflow helps the engine to warm up faster and you get warm faster. If your engine is at -40 and you have to get it warmed up it does not help to have cold air blowing in keeping it cool. ;)

Latest posts

Members online