Is it 42RLE or 45RFE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Here's what my build sheet says...

DG6 4-Spd. Automatic 42RLE Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMEP 3.73 Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
EKG 3.7L V6 Engine

NOT COOL!!!

ohh its cool, and you like it! 8-[

Whats the big deal anyway? Ive not heard of any MAJOR failures with the 42rle ******?? Weve got a 42RE in a 94 Grand and its got 160k of trouble free miles on it.. Many of which were done pulling a boat in the hills of eastern kentucky.. My dad just made a 4hour trip pulling a boat to a lake south of Bristol Tennesee and had ZERO peoblems.. Some of the biggest hills we have in ky are on that road..

I dont see the big deal, get the shift kit for the 42rle and it will last you along time.. I plan on installing one when 30k rolls around. \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
2003KJ said:
Here's what my build sheet says...

DG6 4-Spd. Automatic 42RLE Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMEP 3.73 Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
EKG 3.7L V6 Engine

NOT COOL!!!

ohh its cool, and you like it! 8-[

Whats the big deal anyway? Ive not heard of any MAJOR failures with the 42rle ******?? Weve got a 42RE in a 94 Grand and its got 160k of trouble free miles on it.. Many of which were done pulling a boat in the hills of eastern kentucky.. My dad just made a 4hour trip pulling a boat to a lake south of Bristol Tennesee and had ZERO peoblems.. Some of the biggest hills we have in ky are on that road..

I dont see the big deal, get the shift kit for the 42rle and it will last you along time.. I plan on installing one when 30k rolls around. \:D/

Ever driven one with the 45? My neighbor had an 02 with the 45 in it, and I drove it back from the airport one time after dropping him off.....a good 30 minute trip. I could tell a very noticeable difference in shift points, as well as it's pep. IMO, the 45 is suited better for the 3.7.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The 42RE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 42RLE.

The 42RLE is a relative of the previously failure prone A604 automatic transmission. Do a google search on it.

The 42RE is a more "modern" version of the almighty Torqueflite. Again, another google search.

There's nothing WRONG with the 42RLE, but I guess some people just prefer the 45RFE. Personally half the time I can't stand the 545RFE I have because it doesn't downshift ENOUGH for my liking... but oh well.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:

The 42RLE is a relative of the previously failure prone A604 automatic transmission. Do a google search on it.

The 42RE is a more "modern" version of the almighty Torqueflite. Again, another google search.

There's nothing WRONG with the 42RLE, but I guess some people just prefer the 45RFE. Personally half the time I can't stand the 545RFE I have because it doesn't downshift ENOUGH for my liking... but oh well.

This is true... I was just saying that the trannys Jeep uses seem to be decent trannys.. I kinda wish we had the AW4 though. O:)

If you dont like the way the 42rle shifts, ship the PCM off to B&G Chrysler.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Screw the 4.0L. I'll take the 3.7L and AW4. Bulletproof (maybe? turning out to be that way...) engine + bulletproof transmission. There's an AW4 relative inside my mom's Kia... damn thing's a tough one. Original ****** fluid after 91k... I've accidentally put it in park while moving... several times when I was learning how to drive and not paying attention... bit rough shifting and always has been, but... it's tough!

I like the way the 42RLE shifts... it's the 545RFE/45RFE I can't stand.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Marlon_JBT said:

This is true... I was just saying that the trannys Jeep uses seem to be decent trannys.. I kinda wish we had the AW4 though. O:)

If you dont like the way the 42rle shifts, ship the PCM off to B&G Chrysler.

The AW4 was a good ****** too - used in XJ's mated to the 4.0liter. The ****** pan had a drain plug too.

I havn't had a problem with my 42RLE and I tow.

Jeepster, what is the shift kit you were talking about for the 42RLE???

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Personally half the time I can't stand the 545RFE I have because it doesn't downshift ENOUGH for my liking... but oh well.

You know you have that ****** because the CRD puts out more torque than the 3.7liter.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dave said:
Marlon_JBT said:
Personally half the time I can't stand the 545RFE I have because it doesn't downshift ENOUGH for my liking... but oh well.

You know you have that ****** because the CRD puts out more torque than the 3.7liter.

Dave
Duh... lol3.gif Yes I know, 42RLE doesn't have a high enough torque rating (hence: the "2" vs "5") for the diesel. That's why I don't complain much... I don't have a choice. However now that I know how to drive stick shift, I'm really wanting one, but again, I had no choice either way.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Marlon_JBT said:
However now that I know how to drive stick shift,

And all this time we thought you were "shiftless"..............

Dave

millman44

Reaction score
Yes it is a 4X4, with the 3.7 V-6. This along with the auto ****** are about the only luxuries this thing has. I was always curious about which ****** I had. When I saw this discussion I started investigating. Thanks for all the info guys. I've never rode in another Liberty, so I have nothing to compare it to. But mine has a really low 1st gear.

2003KJ

Reaction score
millman44 said:
Yes it is a 4X4, with the 3.7 V-6. This along with the auto ****** are about the only luxuries this thing has. I was always curious about which ****** I had. When I saw this discussion I started investigating. Thanks for all the info guys. I've never rode in another Liberty, so I have nothing to compare it to. But mine has a really low 1st gear.

Go ride in a 2004 or 2005 and you'll notice the difference....

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ok, i'm bringing this back up because I would like to try to pinpoint when exactly the switch happened.

Those of you who have the 45RFE transmission with build dates past April of 2003, what is the MDH number? For those who are saying "what the hell is he talking about??", the MDH stands for Month, Day, & Hour that your Jeep was built. It can be found on the lower left corner of your production sticker. The first two numbers should match the month of your production date, which is smack in the middle of the sticker. So for example, if you have a build date 05/03, the first two numbers of your MDH would be 05xxxx

I will go outside and look at mine in the morning.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Which trans?

The build date on my 2003 Liberty Limited 4x4 is 06-03 or June 2003. I have the control module on the passenger side inner fender well and the rear transmission cross member with a curve toward the rear bumper (not a straight rear trans cross member). So, the build date would indicate a 42RLE per prior post but the control module on the passenger fender and curved rear trans support would indicate 45RFE. Could the April '03 changeover date be in error? Or did Jeep put the 45RFE in all 4x4's in 2003? Hope so as I prefer the 45 RFE. Will try to get the build sheet from a dealer to confirm on my Liberty one way or the other.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

After replacing your ******, do you still feel this way Marlon? :emotions34:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The build date on my 2003 Liberty Limited 4x4 is 06-03 or June 2003. I have the control module on the passenger side inner fender well and the rear transmission cross member with a curve toward the rear bumper (not a straight rear trans cross member). So, the build date would indicate a 42RLE per prior post but the control module on the passenger fender and curved rear trans support would indicate 45RFE. Could the April '03 changeover date be in error? Or did Jeep put the 45RFE in all 4x4's in 2003? Hope so as I prefer the 45 RFE. Will try to get the build sheet from a dealer to confirm on my Liberty one way or the other.

You've got a 45RFE. Another way to tell is that your cats sit perpendicular to the ground, not parallel. I'm unsure of the build date that they switched in the KJ. But don't forget if they had multiple plants, some may have switched earlier. They could have STARTED switching in April of '03.