Is changing odometer possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

millman44

Reaction score
I recently had brake work done at my dealer. They always do what they call "a walk around", to check car for any dings so they can't be held liable. I followed the fellow outside as he checked my Liberty and wrote down the mileage. He wrote down 53,380 miles. Which I confirmed. After the work was done and I was on my way home, I noticed that my mileage read 54,402 miles. And the mechanic that did the brake work and inspection wrote down 54,402 miles on the paper work they gave me when I left. I know what I saw on my Jeep before it went in for work. I gave them a call after getting home and told them of the inconsistancies. They stated that it is impossible to change mileage, as the chips are burned at the factory, and it is illegal and impossible for them to access it. I know what I saw on it in there parking lot before it went in for service, and what it reads now. Something stinks in Mudville. Anyone ever hear of this? And is it possible to change mileage on purpose or accidentally somehow?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of big trucks I've driven have "lost", but never gained mileage.

When I returned off each trip it happened on, our shop manager reflashed something with the computer thingy he has to get the LED readout on the odometer to start working properly again. He was not able to reset the mileage. What and how he did I don't know the details.

The truck I drive now lost 10,000 miles when it was supposed to roll over to 400,000 miles. I don't know if it's a big truck thing or not, but if your KJ was still under warranty, I'd take it in, have them write it up and check it out.... it can be corrected, and the odometer/instrument cluster can be changed out if need be. They also have to fill out a form to send to the state and give you a copy showing the odometer has been changed and the estimated mileage on the vehicle.

Whenever you have a problem, have them document the issue and the corrective action even if it was a could not duplicate. Never do things verbally, always have them write up a service ticket.

Let us know what happens....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible, someone left it running with a brick on the gas pedal and in gear for 16 hours, at 60mph, there you got 1000 miles!

Otherwise, I have no idea how it is possible to change the mileage. Wise answer = are you sure it is your jeep?

It's not the old days, turn the wire to pull odometer down, I doubt it.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure not to get furious at it and kick in the bumper so it flies out the all glass window behind it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the guy wrote down that it had 53,380 while doing the pre-inspection, and then they wrote down it had 54,402 when they were done, then someone gots some 'xplainin' to do. idea.gif

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeep tech says=
is it impossible to change mileage on the jeeps we have no way to get into it. i dont mean to be rude but i honestly think you saw the wrong mileage going in maybe he looked at something else like your trip or your old lube sticker but to come in for work and then have a thousadnd extra miles???
alzhimers comes in mysterious ways lol just kidding.
i just checked for tsb's on odometer issues and have not had any hits and thats right from dc.
so to answer your question you saw wrong on the odometer cus the tech has to right the right mileage or he dont get paid