Ironman lift installed...with pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My OME 926(med) springs settled to about 20.5" after 2 years(with 1/4" top plate and 3 rings on clevis).
Just switched to HD springs and now back to 22"+.(with 1/4 top plate and 2 rings on clevis).

Gyro

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I spoke with Marlin earlier about the front ride height problem I'm having and didn't really get any help. I told him I'm running a complete Ironman kit with a top plate and I'm sitting at 20.5" with the understanding that I should be closer to 22.5". He said that the Ironman is only a 1.5" kit and with a 1/4" top plate I'm right where I should be.

But I'm confused. I'm running the same exact set up as several other people here and I'm 1.5-2" lower than them. He then suggested I buy some Ironman HD or OME 927's to get me where I want to be.

I know that the Ironman is sold as a 1.5" lift kit, but have heard from everyone here that you get closer to 2.5". Am I wrong here?

Will getting the HD springs, whether it's Ironman or OME, give me a rough ride since I'm not running an aftermarket bumper or winch?

I don't mind ordering another set of springs, I'm just confused why I need HD springs when nobody else seems to need them - I'm totally stock except for lift and tires.

I just think I got soft springs...

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
99% of the lifts we have done here all run OME 927 HD springs with most not running an aftermarket bumper . VERY few get the lighter weight springs. If I were you I'd get the OME 927s along with the Ironman front shocks you already have and be done.
Its really hard to tell what the original owner bought. One of the problems with buying a pig in a poke, you don't know what color or how big it is

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya tom, but $300 was too good to pass up. :icon_lol:

So 927's with a 1/4" top plate will put the front around 22"-ish? That's where I'd like to be...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
927s and the 1/2 inch from the top plate should put you at 21.5 or so when settled in. If you want 22 spot on throw in an 1/8 or so clevis lift which would get you in the ball park.
And yes you couldn't pass up the deal, heck the rear springs and all 4 shocks are worth more than what you paid ! I would of bought it just to throw up on the shelf in the garage for some future project if I would of had the chance :shrug::happy175:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had another thought about the install on this...

I read in a bunch of places how difficult it was to get the lower strut fork back into place and many people were using ratchet straps to get everything lined up. I had zero problems, the clevis fork just went right on.

Maybe the '02 KJ's have a little different suspension geometry?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had another thought about the install on this...

I read in a bunch of places how difficult it was to get the lower strut fork back into place and many people were using ratchet straps to get everything lined up. I had zero problems, the clevis fork just went right on.

Maybe the '02 KJ's have a little different suspension geometry?

No all the same , no difference
People have issues when trying to get say OMEs with top plate and clevis lift all together and in there. Also Frankenlifts can be a bear especially the drivers side at times. More of trying to fit 8.975 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sag type of thing
With your setup it would of been much like stock

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after 600 miles my front end is at 19.75" and the rear hasn't sagged a bit....

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped out the weak Ironman front springs and installed a set of OME 927's along with a 2 ring clevis and she's sitting pretty now...for anyone worried about 927's riding too rough - dont! They ride great, better than the Ironman's, IMHO. Not harsh or rough at all.

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

May not look like much difference, but with the 927's and the 2 ring clevis I gained just over 1.5 inches of lift up front, over what the Ironman's with no clevis rings were giving me. Leveled it out pretty good I think.

Updated lift list:

Front = 22.25"
OME 927's
Ironman Shocks
2 ring clevis
1/4" JBA top plate
Teraflex bumpstops

Rear = 22.5"
Ironman Springs
Ironman shocks (will be replacing, too short)
1 extra upper iso
2 hockey pucks per side bumpstops

Tires
245/75r16 Duratracs on stock wheels

Last edited:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, this is beautiful country. And this summer is the best in a while. Lots of rain, haven't had any 100* days yet (might have hit 100 once, for about an hour), no wildfires (yet), and everything is sooooo green...

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jealous of the scenery and the weather. U wanna feel some horrible weather come to GA, 93% humidity is a biotch. Even your sweat starts to sweat.

It was 108* and 93% humidity, it ended up climbing to 113* and 94% humidity that day. I want to experience the dry heat y'all guys out west talk about...