Intermittent fault.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavyG

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2001 cherokee 2.5 crd and over the last couple of days it has started to lose power while driving, the revs drop to zero and it just stops. After holf an hour or so it will start again and run normally. I think it is either the camshaft sensor or the map sensor that is at fault but would appreciate some advice before attempting to fit new ones. Are these things difficult to fit and where can they be found? Any help will be very welcome. Love the site . Dave

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crank angle sensor is behind the downpipe and a pain it the **** to change, only one bolt but access is very poor. Stick with Bosch, same sensor fits the 2.5 & 2.8. Check the wires too, mine were corroded.
Also has a camshaft position sensor at the rear of the head. I doubt it's the MAP with those symptoms however it doesn't hurt to Clean it. It's in the inlet manifold rear right.
Don't be tempted to poke or scrub it, buy the proper cleaner any blast it with that.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is the Export 2.5L KJ CRD then you can pull codes out as follows:

Without starting the engine....rapidly turn the ignition ON/OFF 4 times then leave ignition ON. Codes should start displaying in the Odometer from the Oldest which may no longer be relevant to the latest codes which are the newest and may be relevant. Cycling it 3 times instead of 4 times may also work.

Write down the newest codes and get back to us!

The Crank Sensor tends to be the Sensor most affected by heat!

As stated do not brush the MAP Sensor...I spray it with Brake Cleaner and let it dry.....being doing this since May 2002 without damaging it!;)

If this is not a KJ then I have no ideas...the Export KJs are labelled as Cherokees!

DavyG

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The code is 0340 which comes back as camshaft position sensor bank 1.

DavyG

Reaction score
Ahh, the easy one!
Thanks for reply. Just can't seem to locate it. First time Jeep owner and very impressed !! I'll be trying to do repair myself so would really be grateful for any advice on best way to do it.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's at the rear of the rockerbox near the expansion tank, I'll see if I can find a picture of it, I'm offshore at the moment so can't get a picture of mine.

DavyG

Reaction score
Thank's for that. I'll have a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

From the manual.

budget76

Reaction score
Temperature if 30 minutes later it starts or runs. Yes temperature can kill a sensor, and this is a cheap and easy item to replace, so maybe it is ok to throw parts at it. Could be plugged fuel filter and or pump issue. Think heat. Once the engine is warm, the ECU uses fuel trims as opposed to a static code table to decide how to open injectors for pulse. In truth 30 minutes is not enough time for an engine to cool, but enough time for a fuel clog to allow some fuel to flow to injectors.
If cheap part does not work, I would do a fuel flow test to make certain pump volume is high. Pressure test also good. Wen engine dies, could put safety glasses on and press on schrader valve on fuel rail to see if pressure when dead.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a 20,000 psi common rail diesel it doesn't have a valve on the rail. Under no circumstances should it be worked on under pressure!

Latest posts

Members online