Interior overhead light issue..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already done a "search" for a thread regarding this problem, but found nothing that I could see addressing it specifically. Of course, I could be blind...

It seems that all of the interior lights in my '02 Liberty Limited will sporadically turn themselves on and off, or won’t turn off after the doors are closed. They may stay on for an hour or more, then turn off. It’s like the car is haunted…

Anyone have a thought on where to start looking? The dealer told me they’d have to trace the wiring and test call the associated switches, but rather than let them root around at $85.00 an hour, I’d like to see if it’s something I can repair myself.

Thanks in advance..,.

88dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the body control module. Any other electrical gremlins happening in the interior ?

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the body control module. Any other electrical gremlins happening in the interior ?

Actually not in the interior, but on occasion, the rear door and hatch won't open. Again, it's intermittent, just happens randomly.

The hatch is an annoyance, but the interior lights suddenly coming on, particularly on a dark night, creates a safety concern for me... kinda makes it hard to see out.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is because of malfunction with the dimmer control on your multifunction switch. If it does it again twist the dimmer to a lower brightness. The fix is to replace the switch or just use as is but turn it down one click from full brightness

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys... the suggestions will give me a place to start. Hopefully, it's just something simple (read not expensive) to repair.

And please forgive my ignorance, but... the multifunction switch, is that the headlight switch on the column?

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that's it. Turn signal, headlight, fogs, dimmer. Mine has done the same thing. All interiors came on all of sudden

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that's it. Turn signal, headlight, fogs, dimmer. Mine has done the same thing. All interiors came on all of sudden

Thanks... I've now added that tidbit to my slowly growing knowledge of my Liberty.

We bought this new, in '02, and it has been, at least up until recently, essentially bullet proof.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If it turns out to be the switch assembly let me know. I added fog lights a few months ago and have had the old stalk assembly sitting here since then. If you have factory fog lights it won't help you, though. (I also need to make sure it's compatible with an '02.) :)

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would change the Malfunction switch first....make sure you get the correct one for with foglamps or for without foglamps.

Could be loose connections on the BCM....try re-plugging these connectors.

Could be one of the switches on the door locks...the switches are intergrated into the lock itself.....check that the wiring from the doors going into the cabin are not fraying to chassis somewhere.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ghost Interior Lights.... BOOO!
Still not convinced as what the real culprit is. BCM should turn off all lights even if interior lights left on as rundown protection, yet I have seen my interior lights on all night before &..
I have scratched my head on this one.. It is often related to the push light in the rear, on the rear ceiling...or when u open the lift gate glass switch.
Try push in once on the rear ceiling light, and push off again. Then see if it does it again.
I normally leave my multi function turn switch rotated all the ways back, for interior lights always off, when I leave the KJ.
If u leave the interior lights switch stalk off and u open the rear glass, and lights come on..that might be the hint there too..
Personally I think it is the jeep confused by a bad a switch and the BCM just fubar design,
Tonight with the stalk int lights off, I open lift glass and lights came on! WTF?
YA then I close all doors, and glass, and they still stay on. Hit FOb to lock, all go out ..
Yup it's a ghost jeep thing.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Could be one of the switches on the door locks...the switches are intergrated into the lock itself.....check that the wiring from the doors going into the cabin are not fraying to chassis somewhere.

That would be my first check .. make sure the doors are all reporting as closed.

Members online