Interior lighting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
I’m having an issue with the interior lights randomly going on and off while driving my KJ. The dimmer switch doesn’t seem to be the issue as anytime the lights turn on no matter how I adjust the dimmer it doesn’t affect the lights. Also the cluster lights at the temp gauge and the right half of the speedo are out and I can’t seem to find any replacements and would prefer to go LED if I can find any that are reasonably priced. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Clearly there’s a reason I’ve named my Jeep “Gremlin” :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I can understand why you have named your Jeep "Gremlin" & You are not alone.
When the interior lights come on, do they stay on or flicker?
Do you have any LED bulbs installed in Jeep?
If they stay on, turn off jeep, hit the fob/remote lock button, do they turn off then?
Or using the dimmer to the on, then off position, does that turn them off?
Replacing the turn signal stalk may be the issue.

I've parked the Jeep with interior lights on stalk turned to off, only to find the interior lights turned on overnight.
The run down protection should have turned them off, so much for that idea.
Sometimes I think the Body control module has lost it's memory, or a door or hatch switch may be responsible.
If it's doing it frequently, try a hard re-set.
Tape or clamp both battery cables together for 45 min, isolated away from battery posts.

Attachments

• Casper Lighting.jpg
    Casper Lighting.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 3

KJGremlin

Reaction score
I’ve not had an issue while it’s parked. It only seems to happen while driving. The lights (map, luggage compartment, and cluster) all go on and off a couple times and not all the time it’s very random when it happens.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
I’ve noticed it more while driving with the lights on rather than off. It also doesn’t seem to matter what position the dimmer switch is on.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’d check for loose switches in the doors first, then investigate the colum switches and relays.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a bad tailgate switch (marginal) do tgat on hard braking. Wasnt a kj but a caravan.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
Didn’t even cross my mind that it could be something to do with my faulty rear swing gate handle. The rear handle sometimes sticks and doesn’t always open the swing gate. I’ll look into getting a new handle to see if that solves the problem. Any idea about what kind of bulb it is to replace the cluster lights as a couple of them are out and I’d like to replace them with LED’s if I can as I don’t really care for the factory green bulbs.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Swing gate handle issue= See 2002 FSM #23-135 onwards:http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2002JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
There is a micro switch that can be problematic. Others may be more familiar with this & hopefully chime in.

The 02 KJ interior bulbs electrical utilize a can bus system, & without proper resistors installed, leaves bulbs still dimly lit when off.
Always disconnect battery terminals before doing any electrical work on our jeeps.
My Jeep still has all the original bulbs, less headaches.