Interior Light turn on with igniton?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smeltn

Reaction score
Ok so problem just started today on my '05 Jeep Liberty.

When I turn my key on my interior lights come on. All 4 of them..(2 reading lights up front/middle/back)

They stay on the entire time I am driving... When I turn the Jeep off, they stay on for about 2-3 mins and then turn off, but my very back light stays on all the time. I had to take the bulb out so it wouldn't stay on.
Also when I press the remote unlock button, the lights do NOT come on, and when I open the door they do NOT turn on.. They only turn on when I start the Liberty..

Anyone have any idea what this is and how I can fix it?

Thanks

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a sensor or button that senses when the doors are open. I'm GUESSING... Just guessing one of them may be sensing that the door is open all the time. Same applies for the tailgate and glass. Not sure if there is a fuse for this or something... Wish I could help more!

Smeltn

Reaction score
I looked at the fuse guide, and it shows that fuse #34 is like interior lights and radio.. I unplugged it and checked and it is fine.

I wonder the same thing about the gate maybe causing it.. Where is the gate/hatch sensor at that I can check it?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried turning them off manually via the turn signal stalk?

Irregardless, any light in the kj should turn off after 7 minutes. Be it the head lights, fog lights, or interior lights.

Smeltn

Reaction score
yeah they turn off after 7 mins just fine. I have tried the stalk and its all right.

My biggest problem is, all interior lights turn ON when I turn the key in the ignition, and stay on the entire time I am driving, and then turn off when I get out.\

You know I think they are staying on ALL the time and the only reason they are going off at all is the automatic Jeep turn off like you said Jeepster..

I am not getting the door alarm or code on the dash though.. Why would my interior lights be staying on all the time? The stalk is turned all the way off.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
How do I check for these?

Here's a blurb from the FSM:

ALL LAMPS IN THE
COURTESY LAMP
CIRCUIT DO NOT
EXTINGUISH

POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
1. Faulty ajar switch. 1. Test and replace a faulty
liftglass ajar switch as required.
2. Faulty ajar switch sense circuit. 2. Test and repair the shorted ajar switch
sense circuit as required.
3. Faulty ground circuit. 3. Test and repair the shorted courtesy
lamp driver circuit as required.

4. Faulty Body Control Module 4. Use a DRBIIIT scan tool to test the
(BCM), BCM input, or BCM BCM, its inputs, and its outputs.
output Refer to the appropriate diagnostic
information

Last edited: