Interchangeable body parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do it......prove TJKJ wrong. I wanna see that happen.
Not without research, which is the purpose of this thread.

But I have a 02, 04 and 06. And just from looking at them, there are big differences.
I have an 05. I'd like to eliminate as much guess-work as possible.

Theres a member on here that has the 05+ grill on his 02-04 KJ.
Member name? Ask the member to check this thread out, maybe even participate?

But if you looking for bumpers, theres plenty of that going around right now.
I've seen a few, not plenty. And some of what I've seen is made to fit the 02-04 model years, which is why I am asking about interchangeability. I found the sticky list of bumpers thread (maybe it was on the LOST forum) and some of the links are broken, some of the bumpers are butt-ugly, at least one site has a pretty bad reputation and the rest I have bookmarked for later, if I can't find something better.

Jim

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All body parts from a '02 through '04 are the same,after that it's a toss up due to the whole front end and rockers being changed starting '05 and 2 different versions for '05+(flat hood and curved hood).'05+ parts will not fit on '02-'04's.

As mentioned by the OP the hoods do interchange between the 02 to 07. If you remove the most of the front clip (grill, bumper and front fenders) from a 2003 can you bolt it on a 2006?

I agree that the you can not switch only the bumper and grill without replacing the fenders. - unless you are good with a welder.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only would be concern is if you're going to play mix n' mash, how well would that hold up in a crash. These vehicles were designed in their specific ways, cobbling parts together could result in exterior integrity to severely compromised. Thus a minor fender bender turns out much worse, or even the results of a full all out collision could be higher than what they should have been.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Was going to try and stay away from this one and not comment further, BUT that wouldn't be me:icon_lol:
Couple of things, yes hood will fit but nothing else unless you changed everything, radiator support, fenders/ flares, bumpers etc, plus like Troy mentioned then rockers are different and the list goes on.
PLUS if you ever wanted to trade it in its going to be a basta** child to trade/ sell. If I saw one like that even low miles in great condition I'd wonder what else has been changed/hacked/done that maybe an issue down the road, and would run away fast.
Just a couple of things to think about

research has been done before,
several discussions over the years regarding the swap and whats involved over the years on the various Jeep sites

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be worried about the mounting points in the body. Not sure if all of the clips/etc are the same and in the same place. That would be my biggest concern.