Installing an Amp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedJolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Has anyone installed an audio amplifier in your KJ? if so where did you place the amp and where did you pass the wire through the firewall to the battery? Thanks.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
There's a grommet that ThunderbirdJunkie cannot remember which he used. When he's less drinky he'll take some pictures and show you.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I installed 1 amp under my pass side front seat, and the other amp I installed under the drivers side rear seat. Power wire was run through the firewall beside the brake booster and wiring ran under the plastic trim at the floor.

The rear seat will not fold down completely if the amp is too big, my rear amp is just a bit too big and it affects the fold down.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed 1 amp under my pass side front seat, and the other amp I installed under the drivers side rear seat. Power wire was run through the firewall beside the brake booster and wiring ran under the plastic trim at the floor.

The rear seat will not fold down completely if the amp is too big, my rear amp is just a bit too big and it affects the fold down.

I also have an amp under my rear seat and it just barely does not fold down..
but i also ran the wiring through the grommet next to the brake booster and its pretty easy to get all the plastic trim off along the floor to run the wiring under the carpet.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i mounted my amp to the back of my sub which sits in the cargo are.

RedJolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys today. Hopefully I will get it installed this coming weekend.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 channel amp under the front passenger seat and a HD tuner under the driver seat. The power is run through the same hole in the firewall that the N2O controls used to go through, but I can't remember if that hole was pre-existing or not.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty safe to drill mounting screws through the floor under the passenger seat or is there a section to watch out for? Hate exploratory mounting amps... ;)

L

lil black liberty

I will take a picture of my set up for you tomorrow after I get off work..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty safe to drill mounting screws through the floor under the passenger seat or is there a section to watch out for? Hate exploratory mounting amps... ;)

I would not assume that its safe at all. There are wires under the drivers side carpet but Ive never had the passenger side carpet up. I would pull the carpet up first and check. I do not think there is anything under the Jeep that you would hit but check under there too.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4 mounted under the front passenger seat? It's 13.02"L x 7.625"W x 2.25"H in size which sounds big but I can't measure just yet. Or, alternatively, what height limit have you guys experienced in order to mount amps under the rear seat allowing for full seat laydown?

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothin? How about the model of those amps that were too big for the seat to fold down fully so we at least know what's too big?

BTW, I sort of doubt it's critical to most of us, but a few brands void AMP warranties when mounted to the sub box. Not to mention, at the time of theft, it neatly packages everything into one take-away. ;)

I'm now considering the Kicker 08ZX500.1 to run two Kicker CVTs. I'm hopeful that at 4 and 1/4 inch, I can mount them somewhere such as under the front seats. I'm a little concerned with a 20-350Hz response, porting a box correctly, and of course, if a 10" will even fit under there. I saw a post here somewhere which showed 8's under there but I don't know what the limitations were, CU FT. or max radius. I think at 500RMS @ 2ohm I can get away with a slightly smaller enclosure but this is all guess work.

Wiring Diagram

Last edited: