Installing 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolfraven

Reaction score
I may have missed it in the other forums, but is it possible to install the 4wd off another KJ onto a 4x2 KJ. Is there an aftermarket kit? Is it worth it?

I bought a 4x2 KJ and down the line I may want to go 4 wheeling again.

Help? :-k

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's possible, however, you're going to need another KJ to do the swap of components.

I'd say you'd be better off selling the 2WD and finding a 4WD.

But do let us know if you ever attempt the swap! I'd say you need an entire front end from a 4WD Liberty, the front driveshaft, transfer case, POSSIBLY a new transmission, rear driveshaft, T-Case lever, and who knows what else.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work... I'd just look for another one to buy. But let us know what you find out.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
priell3 said:
If you are going to go through all of the effort, put on a solid front axle!

I will 2nd and 3rd that.

and i'll xInfinity that....it's gonna be a ton of work to convert it from 2wd to 4wd thanks to the IFS deal. I'm not sure how differently the front end is set up on a 2wd, but I would imagine some parts would have to be removed and replaced with parts from a 4x4 jeep. Then as marlon said you gotta get the t-case, front shaft, front differential, t-case shifter, correct shafts to adapt to the transmission IF it will work with the ****** in there, which I would imagine it should as long as you get the right shafts. I'm sure im leaving more out too.

by the time your done, you'd be better off either buying a 4x4 KJ and selling the 2wd, or doing a SFA conversion (which has been done to ONE KJ).

Not trying to say it's impossible, just that it's gonna be alot of work.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a 4x4 Liberty. This is a serious job even for the seasoned fabricator.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should consider selling it and getting a 4x4 KJ. By the time you buy the parts and the time it would take to do it = not worth it. And meantime you would have no vehicle. I never saw a 2wd KJ. Is it lower or something?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dave said:
I think you should consider selling it and getting a 4x4 KJ. By the time you buy the parts and the time it would take to do it = not worth it. And meantime you would have no vehicle. I never saw a 2wd KJ. Is it lower or something?
Haha, no it's not lower! The KJ with the highest ground clearance is exactly the 2WD!

Anyways, Tim... the SFA has been done to more KJs than one. I can think of 3 off the top of my head. The list just keeps growing too.

Wolfraven

Reaction score
Hmmm...alot to think about guys.
(dropmouth) (dropmouth) (dropmouth)

I think I may just end up giving it to the wifey and buying the new Unlimited Wrangler when it comes out. I heard it looks almost exactly like the Rescue concewpt that they teased us with and then forgot.

=P~

Thanbks for the suggestions though.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wolfraven said:
Hmmm...alot to think about guys.
(dropmouth) (dropmouth) (dropmouth)

I think I may just end up giving it to the wifey and buying the new Unlimited Wrangler when it comes out. I heard it looks almost exactly like the Rescue concewpt that they teased us with and then forgot.

=P~

Thanbks for the suggestions though.

Not quite, but close.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

I would buy a 06 Rubi because you will get the last of the pure breed engines (4.0L). The 07's and up are putting the 3.8L in them. And the prices for the 06 will start falling so they can get rid of them for the 07.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of looking at pictures. I want to see a real one and the dealer I stopped at the other day has 3 coming in but ETA is not until the second week in Sept................................

Wolfraven

Reaction score
IT doesnt matter what year I get. In the next year it'll be old anyway. LOL

The Unlimited '08 Wrangler in Black and Gunmetal chrome is what I'm gonna get.

\:D/