Install Wiring for tow hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hes talking about the stock wiring, i would also like to know this as im getting the stock wiring also. More info plz.

chaz0_man0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hitch wireing plugs into the back of the tale lights on either side. There is a space next to the lights for a wire to be fed inside the bumper.
Very simple fool proof install..

Snowbunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...heres the deal.... :-s I ordered a trailor hitch and all along with the wiring kit.....i got the hitch part bolted on just fine I just have to do the wireing....in the instructions it has pictures of the back right panel being removed....that has me very very confused (Aeh) cuz in order for me to do that I have to un screw the seatbelt and all kinds of shit....so anyway...if I were to just plug it into the back light, and it has a place to go through the bumper.... how do I get it in.... to I go down from the light or feed it up through the bumper.... sorry..... I am dumb when it comes to electronically stuff... :-k

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always heard u have to take that panel off, i know its alot of work, but i do believe u have to do it. All these other people saying they pluged into the tail lights, they didnt buy the unit from mopar, they bought some other brand that hooks up a different way.

Yippers

Reaction score
The Mopar unit looks to require running a line to the B+ terminal on the battery. Unless the Mopar unit isn't weatherproof or there is some other over-riding concern, I'd look at mounting it like the after-market solutions do; with 3M dbl-sided adhesive up in the opening in the fender just below the tail lamp.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna do mine this weekend. As I said in another post, I'm using an aftermarket version from hoppy. here's the pic of the install.

You must be registered for see images

C/D is just a male-female that goes inbetween existing wiring. F is ground, G goes to fused 12V+ (to the battery). Seems easy enough, the pain in the neck will be just making sure the wire is run properly in the undercarriage.

-Blu

Snowbunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from jeep world... I am pretty sure it was a mopar version. Man...this is gonna be a pain in the neck! [-(

SmartBomb

Reaction score
I just got done putting the Mopar towing kit in my CRD. You definitely have to remove the right rear panel, which requires removing the seat belt. It's not that difficult, it just pulls off - no bolts other than the ones holding the seat belt on (you'll need a T-50 bit for that). If you want some more info let me know. It's still very fresh in my mind.

Snowbunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SmartBomb said:
I just got done putting the Mopar towing kit in my CRD. You definitely have to remove the right rear panel, which requires removing the seat belt. It's not that difficult, it just pulls off - no bolts other than the ones holding the seat belt on (you'll need a T-50 bit for that). If you want some more info let me know. It's still very fresh in my mind.

yes....
MORE INFO PLEASE!!! I would appriciate it very much so. (biggrin)