Inspection results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanji

Reaction score
Just had an inspection done after the rear lower control arms recall and got the following.

Oil Pan leaking
Transmission output seal leaking
Timing cover leaking
Rear brakes are low

I plan to do the brakes this weekend or no next week and the oil pan gasket replacement seems doable so what do you guys think I should do for the others? I am not exactly a mechanic. So I don't know what transmission output seal is and the timing cover sounds like a pain.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Assuming yours is 2WD since you have a transmission output and not a transfer case...the oil pan might be doable without pulling the engine since yours is 2WD.

Not sure on the transmission or the timing cover.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Would be nice if you would add your KJ details to your signature line. On top see- user CP.
IS the oil level dropping on dipstick frequently?
How much is it leaking? Big difference between a weap & a major oil leak.
I would place a large piece of cardboard under the jeep & see how much is actually getting to the ground.
I like to inspect things myself take pics/ and see what & where is really going on.

Tanji

Reaction score
I added oil 2 months ago and when I recently checked the dipstick after the inspection I saw that it was low so after I added a quart it went back up to safe level.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How messy under the Jeep is it? Is oil everywhere?
Often a serious steam or power wash is required if it is bad to really get a good look for the leaks or IDK it may be quite apparent where it is coming from.
Replacing the oil pan gasket is a big deal. Out with the engine or drop the cradle, big job.
Look for output shaft seals leaks & even the oil pressure sending unit first after getting it cleaned up.
Can you confirm that it is also a leak form the transmission output shaft seal?
Visible red ATF+4 all over or just a bit around the seal?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing cover is a much easier job than the oil pan gasket,maybe 1.5-2 hour job.

Trans output seal requires the t-case to be pulled,might as well replace the t-case input seal while it's out.

The oil pan will require the cradle to be dropped or engine raised and both those methods are not the best,the best way is to pull the engine like the manual calls for.