Inner tie rod replace on '07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read all the tie rod replacement topics here and it seemed a pretty straightforward task. So I proceeded to do mine and I found this:

You must be registered for see images

Looks like a security tab to prevent the inner tie rod from unscrewing. That picture is taken from below. What's even worse is that there is another security tab on top. There is no mention of these in any of the other topics so I assume it's a '07 thing.

The problem is I cannot really come up with a way of undoing these. Even the bottom one is damn hard to work on. I'll probably manage hammering it flat if I find the right size chisel/screwdriver. The top one seems impossible though. It sits barely two inches under the chassis rail and the length of the rack is not enough to get it clear of the rail no matter the position of the steering wheel. So it really doesn't look like I can hammer this one flat without removing the rack. Now that seems like an overkill for replacing the tie rod.

Has anybody dealt with these tabs?

Last edited:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your inside tie rods bad? I just changed both my outer last week. Wire brush to clean the threads, pipe wrench on the inner to keep it from turning. Some penetrating oil. And a propane torch to heat the locking nut. Back it off i turn. Then heat the tie rod that covers the threads and unscrew with wrench

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to replace the inner one though. It has some play.

Last edited: