Inaugural tow with the Liberty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I installed a class 3 hitch and plug n play wiring harness from Curt on the '07 Liberty. There's another thread about it, including install pics. Anyway, hooked up my father in law's 12x6 motorcycle trailer and went to get a new bike with it. I definitely could use some heavier duty shocks, especially with the 12" extension. Even empty the Jeep was ass dropped a bit. Anyway, roads are FLAT here in Florida, but there are bridges over the interchanges. Going straight it was fine in OD, but going up the incline was another story, so I took the OD off. Bought the bike and loaded it into the trailer without issue, and didn't even bother with OD on the way home. At about 65 mph I had to give it a bit more gas than I expected, but it WAS windy and the trailer's a big brick. I averaged 12 mpg.

The wife and I have talked about trailering the new scoot to Tennessee, so if we decide to do that, I'll definitely need to boost the rear suspension, and try to boost some horsepower. I'm thinking a cold air induction with KN filter would help. Any other suggestions?

Here's pics of the rig and the "new" Low Rider.

You must be registered for see images attach

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did'nt like the way the rear of my 07 sagged when I pulled a trailer, so I added 2 extra rear isolators to each side. Worked perfect with about 350 or 400 pounds of tongue weight. That was the easiest and cheapest way to go.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't want to tow with OD on - you risk overheating your transmission that way. I've always been instructed to lock out of overdrive.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I towed about 3.5k from FL to WI and didn't lock out OD...no over heating at all. OD will turn off when it needs to.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've towed with it on and off depending on terrain
I have a 6X10 enclosed that I have towed from Ohio to Boston a couple of times and Ohio to Florida before and all over the midwest

To the OP save your money and buy something else instead of the K&N cold air intake, huge waste

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do the home made cold air intake with the KN filter, not buy the KN cold air kit.

What are isolators?

I've been told use OD and don't use OD. I went with the same thoughts as above: it will shift when it needs to. When the ****** shifted up and down and up and down, I locked it out. A ****** cooler would be a good choice, methinks.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do the home made cold air intake with the KN filter, not buy the KN cold air kit.

What are isolators?

I've been told use OD and don't use OD. I went with the same thoughts as above: it will shift when it needs to. When the ****** shifted up and down and up and down, I locked it out. A ****** cooler would be a good choice, methinks.

They are the rubber pads that the rear coil springs sit on. There is one at the top and one at the bottom. I added 2 uppers on each side to give me an extra inch of lift in the rear.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a 91 Accord behind mine on a Dolly. Now there is not much tongue weight with those but the I was still pulling the weight. I was very happy with how it performed. I have pulled a small enclosed with my tool box and tools and the only complaint I had with that is that I could really feel it there. Then again I am more used to lugging empty trailers with semi trucks.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I watched a buddy overheat the ****** in his KJ when towing his CJ over relatively flat terrain to an offroad park. From then on, I just locked out OD on mine. Seems like less of a risk to me. May also depend on weight of what's towed/terrain/etc... :shrug:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should I even post it?

nah... done it enough. :D

Latest posts

Members online