In Dash iPad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious as I’ve been toying with the idea of modifying my KJ more now that my lift is done, has anyone mounted an iPad or tablet in the dash where the stereo is? I would love to be able to figure out a way to mount in an iPad Mini, use it for music, navigation, reverse camera, etc. I’ve seen plenty of other jeeps doing that, but haven’t seen an actual in dash build for a KJ. I’ve been looking around at 3D printed items and feel like this project would be perfect to design a 3D printed mold to make it look like a professional job.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Would be cool to see one put in.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Aftermarket-Installation-Standard-Harness/dp/B00E8SA5P0https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Aftermarket-Installation-Standard-Harness/dp/B00E8SA5P0
I used that and installed a Atoto a6 head unit basically an android tablet as radio system and it works great. I also have a dash cam with back up camera mirror on top of default rear view mirror that works well.
I looked at that, unfortunately the double din size is still smaller than an iPad mini. I may have figured out how to do it, albeit expensively, and am pursuing that at the moment. I’ll be sure to update this as I make progress towards it, but it will be a while. After all, my wedding bills definitely come first!

I do want to stay in the apple world with this setup, as I have an iPhone and most of my stuff is in the apple ecosystem. My goal is to create space to mount the iPad above the stereo, keep a single din unit that supports Bluetooth, and connect that way. Then my hands free setup is maintained and I can use apps to change what I want the iPad to display.

The other part I have to figure out is an easy way to remove the iPad from the dashboard while maintaining the clean aesthetic, because the heat in Arizona can destroy it.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at that, unfortunately the double din size is still smaller than an iPad mini. I may have figured out how to do it, albeit expensively, and am pursuing that at the moment. I’ll be sure to update this as I make progress towards it, but it will be a while. After all, my wedding bills definitely come first!

I do want to stay in the apple world with this setup, as I have an iPhone and most of my stuff is in the apple ecosystem. My goal is to create space to mount the iPad above the stereo, keep a single din unit that supports Bluetooth, and connect that way. Then my hands free setup is maintained and I can use apps to change what I want the iPad to display.

The other part I have to figure out is an easy way to remove the iPad from the dashboard while maintaining the clean aesthetic, because the heat in Arizona can destroy it.

I fully support this concept (not just because I'm an IT guy who loves his iOS devices) but also because I've been toying with the same idea myself. I have a spare ipad mini 1 that I could repurpose for this, as well as a 2013 Nexus tab if I wanted to go Android.

Years ago I'd say custom fiberglass for the bezel would be the only way to attack this.. but now, with 3D printing as it is.. you don't even have to own one, you can take your dimensions and design into a shop that specializes in this and they'll print it for you.

What I'd do is mock up the ipad in place, get the mounting of the tablet sorted out... then it becomes a matter of making a new bezel/trim piece to fit to that. Could mock that up out of cardboard or construction paper... although in this case, perhaps cutting and modifying the existing piece with 'glass might be easier, since you could retain the original snap clips and fit and finish.

The harder part (which isn't all that bad) is wiring it and integrating it with your speakers and all the electronics you want to display on it. Physically mounting it is the easy part.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I maintain the radio, the only wiring needed would be for power. Bluetooth is a godsend in this case. My plan was to buy the center section of the dash, figure out how the whole piece is mounted, and mock it up from there. If I can get someone to do a 3D scan for me, I should be able to toy with it in a CAD to mock it up and 3D print it.

If I don’t maintain the radio, I could install something like this:
http://www.outofsightaudio.com/mark-4.html

That would give me the same ability to not worry about too much rewiring.

Latest posts

Staff online