In a pickle...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a bind and needing advice.

Basically, it's time for new tires. I was hoping these cheap-o tires that the dealer put on my jeep would last me until next spring, but it just isn't going to happen with how many miles I put on the Jeep. I wanted to wait and lift it (Ironman and clevis/rear-isos) and put 245/75 on the stock wheels. Now it's looking like I will need to buy tires in the next 2-3 months and I know I won't have the money to buy the lift around that time as well. I'm looking mainly at good all terrains. I have a couple options...

1. Buy much better, stock sized tires (225/75)

2. Buy slightly larger and much better tires and doing the WesWay lift. Looking at 235/75 and 245/70. Will I rub with either of these tires doing that?

3. Buy the 245/75 and do the WesWay and live with the rub for a few months until I can afford the proper lift. How horrible will the rub be doing this?

My Jeep is an 07 Sport with 149k on it. I'll get fender heights and add it later on. I do some pretty good trails but nothing too crazy, but more than the average stock KJ will go through.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 235/75 r16. I have no rubbing problems at all with the width. From my two month experience, they are quiet on the road for the type of tire and good in loose dirt. I only drove them on somewhat icy roads once, so I can't really say anything on that note.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock height?
In 235/75 I'm looking at Firestone Destination A/T and BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain

In the 245/70 I'm looking at BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO, General Grabber A/T2, and also the Firestone Destination A/T and BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain.

This is just based on what I can get locally at a good price

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on mine, stock height.

Mine's on the right here:
You must be registered for see images attach

They're pretty similar to the Destinations.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm very happy with them, in mud, on loose stones, on snow & ice...lots of grip.

Got mine at TireRack.com. Even with paying extra for mounting & balancing, I came out well ahead on the tire price.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First it depends on how much you have sagged already. I've had them come to my place that were sitting at 17.5 inches, so over an inch and a half below stock height. So doing a clevis and top plate would only bring you up to stock height, ( maybe) But 245-70s should work at that height with minimal rubbing at full lock
Personally I would never run BFGs any more or Generals

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 18.25-18.5 all around. I'm really leaning toward the Firestone Destinations, but stuck between which size still.

Tom - Why do you say that about BFG's? Just curious

Thanks for the input guys.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
BFGs used to be a decent/ok tire, sold tons of them back in the day, but anymore there are so many more that are way better all around
So you are 3/4 to an inch below new stock height

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool not as saggy as I thought. What amount of clevis should I do with a 3/8" top plate? Two rear ISO's? Basically, I want something to "get my feet wet" with the KJ that can be used later on (if at all possible) when I can afford to do the Ironman, A-arms, and bumpstops, that will also allow me to clear larger tires. Ideally, I'd be able to clear 245/75 Duratracs, but I know that won't happen without the lift and even then it may rub.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking 1/4" top plate from JBA with 3/8" clevis lift up front and two rear isolators out back. Should put me 1.25" higher up front and 1" higher out back, almost back to where it sat in 7 years and 150k miles ago when it was new. Sound about right? Do you think this would clear 235-75-16?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock 235/70's are 29" tall. 235/75's are 29.8" (give or take a hair depending on brand). That means .4" of clearance infringement from what you have now. Where are you currently at up front? Your suspension might be pretty saggy and weak with those miles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking 1/4" top plate from JBA with 3/8" clevis lift up front and two rear isolators out back. Should put me 1.25" higher up front and 1" higher out back, almost back to where it sat in 7 years and 150k miles ago when it was new. Sound about right? Do you think this would clear 235-75-16?

It may get you up closer to stock height but what you want to think of also is how weak your springs and shocks are now. Over bumps/ railroad tracks etc your suspension now moves more than it did stock from being so weak , more bouncing etc. So while that size may fit sitting still , hit any type of larger bump and more than likely will have contact

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I put two additional isolators out back (bottom, right?) with no problems for about an inch of lift, or is that risky?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I put two additional isolators out back (bottom, right?) with no problems for about an inch of lift, or is that risky?
You can do two per side on top, nothing to hold them in on the bottom