Improving gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ozone000

Reaction score
Ya I have to interject after that statement. Those two do not work separately people. Chemistry uses physics as much as physics uses chemistry. Friction coefficients would not exist without molecular compounds that allow or disallow them. In basic chemistry you are actually being taught physics.

Czar, no one gives an f-orbital about uranium wave functions.

:Insane:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I noticed a drop of about 2-3MPG on the highway after putting on the winch. Pretty sure that didn't do the aerodynamics any favors. :D Anyone else noticed the same?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is interesting now because purple butterflies eat alien marshmallow poop.

Ugh.. Just ugh.. gotta love it when 4 "experts" debate..

Physics and Chemistry are not mutually exclusive, more surface area contacting the road and increased rolling resistance are correlative, and depending on tire compound may or may not be inversely proportional to actual on-road traction.

Have fun guys, this popcorn got stale.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a drop of about 2-3MPG on the highway after putting on the winch. Pretty sure that didn't do the aerodynamics any favors. :D Anyone else noticed the same?

I added an anchor to the rear of my truck and the damn thing gets no mileage to the gallon now...

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added an anchor to the rear of my truck and the damn thing gets no mileage to the gallon now...

a common mistake after installing the anchor is forgetting to lower the tire pressure. that will get your mileage back up

ozone000

Reaction score
a common mistake after installing the anchor is forgetting to lower the tire pressure. that will get your mileage back up

That's only true for kedge anchors. If you are anchoring your Jeep with a danforth you need to rotate the tires front and back or you'll just be burnin' the gas! I know because my creepy uncle told me 20 years ago.

:winner_third_h4h:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As we all know, we get better gas mileage when driving in a tail wind. My (patent pending) idea is to take a pair of these truck cabin fans, and mount one at each rear corner, hanging down for them to blow on the rear glass. This should increase gas mileage greatly!!

You must be registered for see images attach

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's only true for kedge anchors. If you are anchoring your Jeep with a danforth you need to rotate the tires front and back or you'll just be burnin' the gas! I know because my creepy uncle told me 20 years ago.

:winner_third_h4h:

thanks for clarifying! sorry about your uncle

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open hiway 21 to 22 with my 04 lifted regeared etc, the 03 only a baby lift at 2.5 inches of lift and 265 70 16s havent regeared yet but got 17.75 pulling a 6 x10 enclosed trailer with OD off and running 75 plus, havent checked it on the road without trailer yet since lift

What size tires on the 04?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What size tires on the 04?

32s ( 265-75-16 Duratracs) / 4.10 gears , aftermarket front and rear bumpers, heavy skids all the way through, rockrails etc just like its says in my signature
running 75 average all the time

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miracle gas.

I can understand if one of my jeeps gets lousy gas mileage at 170k but the other is at 60k and both range from 12-14 combined aka @200 miles a tank give or take.

Now with the winter gas here mileage ***** even more

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Miracle gas.

I can understand if one of my jeeps gets lousy gas mileage at 170k but the other is at 60k and both range from 12-14 combined aka @200 miles a tank give or take.

Now with the winter gas here mileage ***** even more

I got 12-14 with stock gearing and 32s LOL and no power always shifting so the reason for bad gas mileage

BassMunn

Reaction score
I've had my KJ a few weeks now and have just finished my first full tank, about 60% town driving. Drove it like a girl and got 13mpg for the tank. If I listen carefully I think I can hear it gargling petrol :gr_grin:

I just got rid of a BMW X3 2.0d XDrive 2012 model and it had a lifetime consumption of 28mpg and I drove it hard. My daily driver is an older Audi A3 2.0 FSI and annual average is 26mpg

Just fitted new tyres and did a service but still need to do rear diff and transfer case oils, plus I think I need to look at the other items mentioned here.
Talk about petrol pump shock:Insane:
But I've got to admit "Pumba" is growing on me:gr_grin: and none of those other cars can tow my boat on the beach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I might get 12 in town 15 on the highway.

It's a good Jeep, did not buy it for the fuel mileage!. :gr_grin:

BassMunn

Reaction score
I think I might get 12 in town 15 on the highway.

It's a good Jeep, did not buy it for the fuel mileage!. :gr_grin:

:happy175:
Think I need one of those Gas Guzzler rated trail stickers.
Filled up Friday afternoon, short drive home and then took my wife to the local shops today, short drive, currently sitting at 9.5mpg according to OBC since filling up:happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You ought to be getting a little better than that. Have you been through all the basic stuff?

I work from home and have almost no social life. I can sometimes go well over a month between fill-ups, most of it suburban driving (25-35mph speed limits) and I do better than that even under the worst circumstances.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
These 3.7s like higher RPMs it seems, can not lug them down
My 03 does not like it around here I know, one lane dirt roads, then onto county roads, curvy, twisty, up and down hills , run with OD off but still doesn't help that much. Now get it out on Interstate and at 75 MPH or so it just sits and hums along getting great mileage.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
:happy175:
Think I need one of those Gas Guzzler rated trail stickers.
Filled up Friday afternoon, short drive home and then took my wife to the local shops today, short drive, currently sitting at 9.5mpg according to OBC since filling up:happy175:
Made this one just for you, just take it to the local vinyl sticker shop! :gr_grin: