Improve Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKKB

Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum and my KK. Curious if there is any consensus on ECU tunes to improve fuel economy. Performance is adequate for my needs (pull a 2000lb fishing boat), but wondered if there were any tunes out there that 1) worked 2) didn't screw up the engine and 3) weren't detectable by the dealer / factory. Appreciate any first hand knowledge out there

KKKB

KKKB

Reaction score
Thanks

There are none for what you want.Keep up with your maintenance is about all you can do.

Bummer:(....... With the poor fuel economy I'd have thought an enterprising tuner out there would have done some "fiddling" with a/f ratios and timing to improve when needed. I just unloaded a Pontiac Solstice GXP that could be tuned for 50+ additional hp with the flip of a couple switches. Interesting to note, at a steady 55mph, also returned better fuel economy than factory tune

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can almost bet that if you can find a place that sells fuel with no ethanol in it you will gain about 1-2 MPG. I get mine from a local shell but I have to buy the 89 octane to get it. Ethanol and ethanol blends reduce your mileage.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done some research on the hydrogen bubblers but decided against, the only thing you can do is regular maintenance and tire pressure. I keep mine at about 42 and have gotten 1-2 mpg, and also a light foot which may have helped that out a bit too.

benny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done some research on the hydrogen bubblers but decided against, the only thing you can do is regular maintenance and tire pressure. I keep mine at about 42 and have gotten 1-2 mpg, and also a light foot which may have helped that out a bit too.

Increasing tire pressures will gain you a slight increase but it will also make your wheels break traction a lot easier. I sure wouldn't run them like that in wet conditions.

Miff_UK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but amazingly, the tyre pressure trick is a myth. I always tried this on motorway driving but might not bother now :0(

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4199963

Miff_UK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum and my KK. Curious if there is any consensus on ECU tunes to improve fuel economy. Performance is adequate for my needs (pull a 2000lb fishing boat), but wondered if there were any tunes out there that 1) worked 2) didn't screw up the engine and 3) weren't detectable by the dealer / factory. Appreciate any first hand knowledge out there

KKKB

Well,a friend of mine recommends chipping, (he's an auto electrician) so I have odered mine.

there seems to be a lot of forums where people have seen a difference, here's one

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31445

Don't forget, once you have spent your £300, it's only a £30 wiring harness/ map to refit to your next diesel.

I'll let you know how I get on

Miff