I'm thinking this over...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dread having to deal with chrysler people to buy parts etc.
The parts guys in the local dealership (which is my last resort for parts) always say, "That's $XX.xx. Are you sure you want it?" No wonder, either, because their price is always way higher than anywhere else, usually for the identical part.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could understand u wanting to go to an XJ if you had wheeled with ur KJ and it couldnt do much after the lift. BUT, you spent all this money on a lift and skids and you havent even wheeled the damn thing yet!!?

Why would you sell your jeep after putting that money into lifting it, just to sell it before even giving it a chance. Not only that but u barely offroad and have very few places to offroad so why bother buying a further capable SUV when this one would probably do the very few trails u have access to without an issue.

I dont know, this topic makes no sense to me, ur just throwing away money

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus a XJ is really not that more capable then a KJ,sure it has a solid front axle but it's still only a D30,and then your stuck with rear leaf springs which most of the time is no better the IFS the KJ has for flex.The big drawback of a XJ is once you tweak the unibody(will happen if you offroad it) then it basically is trashed and you need to scrap it,the KJ's unibody is something like 300% stronger then a XJ's,the KK's is like 1000% stronger then a KJ's.

The big thing is now your wanting to go to a vehicle that is at min 8 years old,very rare to find one that has less then 100,000 miles and even more rare to find one that is in at least good condition.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I bought my stock 2005 Renegade at 80k miles with a clear title in October for $9,500 I wouldn't pay that for a vehicle I didn't know the exact back ground of or with that many miles.... just saying... good luck tho!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big drawback of a XJ is once you tweak the unibody(will happen if you offroad it) then it basically is trashed and you need to scrap it
That's kind of the situation a lady here in Phoenix has - she has an XJ that she wheels pretty good and she has already had to have one crack in the unibody frame repaired and is waiting to get funds to get a second one done. A couple of the folks on the local forum have chimed in with similar occurances on their Jeeps.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could understand u wanting to go to an XJ if you had wheeled with ur KJ and it couldnt do much after the lift. BUT, you spent all this money on a lift and skids and you havent even wheeled the damn thing yet!!?

Why would you sell your jeep after putting that money into lifting it, just to sell it before even giving it a chance. Not only that but u barely offroad and have very few places to offroad so why bother buying a further capable SUV when this one would probably do the very few trails u have access to without an issue.

I dont know, this topic makes no sense to me, ur just throwing away money

You are jumping to some conclusions. I'm only willing to sell it IF I can get a reasonable amount out of it. The topic is "I'm THINKING this over" & I've stated that keeping it is an option I'm aware of.

There are three reasons I'm thinking about this: 1) I'm desiring a very simple vehicle, less electronics the better. and $100 fuel filters simply pi$$ me off! 2) I've wanted an XJ for years! I love the utilitarian look, & personally I like the way they drive & feel. 3) It would cost less for me to burn my KJ, & then get an XJ & build it up pretty decent, than it would cost to put even the most basic SFA conversion on the KJ.

I go wheeling when I can, it just requires more time for me, which I haven't had over the last year. I'm sure that this set-up is going to be fine for awhile, but like it or not, the KJ has limitations. a 4" lift with 32" tires is pretty much it... Unless you go SFA.

For what I want to do, I'd like 34" tires with the proper gearing.

Rock Lizard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are jumping to some conclusions. I'm only willing to sell it IF I can get a reasonable amount out of it. The topic is "I'm THINKING this over" & I've stated that keeping it is an option I'm aware of.

If you answer my PM you "might" get something out if it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJPilot, did you try E-Bay or Craigs List or listing it even in a local paper or anywhere elce to see if it will draw any attention? You are in snow country, maybe someone is looking for a 4wd??? Or what if you also could look around for an XJ of your liking and trade + get cash if that is possible???? I am just thinking out loud here trying to help.

Dave

PM ROCK LIZARD PER HIS POST ABOVE

Rock Lizard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck did they pull that off? Isnt the KK a KJ with some extra sheet metal tossed in?

Not sure, but I will tell you, I have installed a lot of skink sliders on KJ's and use a 1/8" pilot and a brand new 3/8" bit each time for the pinch weld, and it will do all 14 pinch weld holes like drilling butter. I installed a prototype set of skinks on Diggerfreaks KK and burned up 4 brand new 3/8" bits and only cut three holes. Luckily the KK has some holes in the pinch weld already that I was able to use instead. The unibody was a little more difficult to drill than the KJ, but I didn't notice a huge difference there, but the KK is a pretty tough little bugger. Reinforcing the XJ unibody isn't that big of a deal anymore, and with a decent set of sliders, rear bumper or hitch, a good front bumper, and a steering box brace and trackbar brace, it wheels pretty solid. I have wheeled XJ's for years and absolutely love mine. 5" lift, 35" tires, just point and shoot, and I'm able to take on just about anything. Of course mine is built with just about the best of the best stuff you can put on it (most of it rock lizard armor of course :D )