I'm strongly considering a Liberty... ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beaver

Reaction score
I've been looking for a mid sized SUV to replace my pickup. My choices have been pretty much narrowed down to a Liberty or Cherokee. The Cherokees seem to either have a ton of miles or are really overpriced, in my opinion, while Libertys seems pretty reasonably priced...

My question is this... Are there many known problem areas on the Liberty, problems to look out for when test driving, or certain years to avoid? I know through owning experiences with several vehicles that they all have their quirks, but it sure would be nice to know the Liberty's quirks before going in...

Thanks.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was looking for one and knew what I know I would find an early '03. They will still have the good transmission (45RFE) and have some of the motor quirks worked out of them that only some of the 02s have. If you want a measly 1.5 more mpg get an 04 or newer. I would get 4x4 obviously and really would be most greatful with just the command track. It only has part time 4x4 and won't have as many problems in the long run as the selec-trac which has full time. But if you want to be able to run it in 4x4 on just wet roads you'll want the selec-trac. Try to get one with most of the extras, as you won't pay much if anything more for them if they are included. That way you won't have to add them yourself and add more cost. some of those would be leather, power seat, fog light, courtesy lights, sunroof, towing package off-road package. You probably won't find one completely loaded like that, but you might.
Set aside about a grand so you can do a lift and get some decent tires. more like 1200 - give or take.
That's what comes to mind without going into too much detail.

Last edited:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the year differences but the Liberties definitely have problems with the power windows. When I bought my liberty (used from a rental agency) I made sure a warranty was included so they fixed the window that wasn't working as well as a few other really minor things. My mechanic told me that he's heard about liberties having front end problems, but I haven't heard much else about that. Good luck and have fun!

Beaver

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. So, the 03 has a different ****** than the 04-07? Is this the reason for the 1.5mpg increase? Higher gear ratio? Or is it something else? I'm really trying to hold out for one with a manual ******, anyhow... Does this change things and open me up to all years?

Command Traxc vs. Select Trac... Forgive me for being a noob, but is there a way I can tell at a glance which one I'm looking at? Is the Select Trac more of an AWD, lacking low range? I really don't want that...

Otherwise, make sure the front end is good n tight and that all of the power windows work correctly? Easy enough. Anything else? Really appreciate the feedback, guys. Keep it coming... :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Lower ball joints, the "front end problems" are likely what your mechanic is talking about... and those were recalled.

BAD window regulator issues seem to be isolated to the 2006 and 2007 model years. I had one break on a 2006, sister's '05 is all original.

Out of all of the years of the Liberty, I'd choose a 2004, 2005 Renegade, or 2009+.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. So, the 03 has a different ****** than the 04-07? Is this the reason for the 1.5mpg increase? Higher gear ratio? Or is it something else? I'm really trying to hold out for one with a manual ******, anyhow... Does this change things and open me up to all years?

Command Traxc vs. Select Trac... Forgive me for being a noob, but is there a way I can tell at a glance which one I'm looking at? Is the Select Trac more of an AWD, lacking low range? I really don't want that...

Otherwise, make sure the front end is good n tight and that all of the power windows work correctly? Easy enough. Anything else? Really appreciate the feedback, guys. Keep it coming... :)

yes select trac is awd so to speak. I think Mid April of '03 is when they switched to the 42 transmission. If you're looking for a manual though I wouldn't worry about that and worry about looking really hard cause the manuals are few and far between. 06 plus anti-lock breaks (pants stainers) are standard. I'm sorta on the fence about traction control now after what I saw wheeling last time. And what I mean by that is that it helped tremendously to get someone through an obstacle. Long story short, I don't have TC and I had to take the wuss route.

oh and yes on the gear ratio. Higher, but sucky-er.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 Renny was built in Dec 02 and has 42RLE. Also, that pre-lowered thing is something to be aware of, I just can't remember when they began being pre-lowered. Between 02 and 03, I think?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
April 12, 2002 was the date after that they were lowered 3/4 of an inch which by now they would be sitting about the same anyways due to sagging springs
I think 04s are better less problems and mine has none of the junk electronic crap on it ! Would never buy a model with it on.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father owns a car dealershiop and an auto auction here in Montana... I have personally only seen one manual transmission Liberty. I bought it. I'm not sure on the actual numbers / rarity of it, but they are damn few and far between. Get a Renegade if you're going to off-road it. My '04 Renny has the factory skids, lights, limited-slip, TPM, leather, basically everything but an automatic.
BTW what is this pre-lowered thing in which you speak?
-edit- Nevermind, thanks Tomm

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ABS, Traction Control, Stability control, it gets in the way of driving.

I got lucky, my 05 doesn't have any of it. :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine was made July 22, 2004...so mine's very early for an 05, what's yours Luke?

Beaver

Reaction score
So, I'm assuming all of the electronic junk was an inline change midway through the '05 model year?

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Renegade, currently at 103,600 miles and running good. Repair items to date: Water pump @ 42,000 miles. Two drivers side rear window regulators. Replaced the serpentine belt tensioner last weekend. It hadn't failed but I could feel/hear a slight noise from the lower pulley. Still running the original serpentine belt.
One major repair coming up will be the rebuild of the rear end. Howling fairly loud now, but has been doing it for the last 60k miles. I'm told this is common-ish to the Chrysler 8.25 rear end, so not specific to the Liberty.

Things I don't care for, but doesn't ruin my Liberty experience:
Seats are not the most comfortable
Valve train can be noisy at high RPMs
Transmission shift points. Tries to get to the highest gear ASAP and is reluctant to downshift with out heavy right foot. (42rle)
Rear facing car seats will not fit behind front seats unless driver/passenger is only 3' tall
Parking brake requires constant adjustment if you want it to work correctly.

When SUV shopping, we looked at the Ford Explorer (which I could get on A Plan), the Trailblazer, Tahoe and something else, but I don't remember what it was. The Jeep wasn't on our list, but there was a used Liberty Limited with 80k miles parked next to the Trailblazer so I took it for a ride. Loved it immediately, but the sales person was a buddy and he said he thought there was something wrong with it. Said the other dealership had a lower miles unit. Went over, test drove it, took it home.

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a manual trans in my liberty, it was the only one in my area when I was looking. They used a nv1500 5 speed until 05 or 06 and then switched to a 6 speed nv3500. I was actually set on a 5 speed cobalt when I found mine on craigslist. It's a 2.4 also so the insurance cost on the liberty vs cobalt is what made me go for mine. Most 5 speeds are 2.4s I believe but the the 6speeds are v6 only as it changed when they dropped the 2.4. I love being able to go 70 on the interstate and in 5th only spinning about 2800 rpm. It's geared tall. I've always been kinda on the sketchy side about some of Chrysler's automatics bc of all the horror stories I've heard. Your best bet on finding a manual is eBay. I have seen quite a few on there.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a mid sized SUV to replace my pickup. My choices have been pretty much narrowed down to a Liberty or Cherokee. The Cherokees seem to either have a ton of miles or are really overpriced, in my opinion, while Libertys seems pretty reasonably priced...

My question is this... Are there many known problem areas on the Liberty, problems to look out for when test driving, or certain years to avoid? I know through owning experiences with several vehicles that they all have their quirks, but it sure would be nice to know the Liberty's quirks before going in...

Thanks.

Okay I'm probably going to take heat for saying this but here it goes...
If you want a daily driver or something with comparable towing capacity of your pickup truck then I suggest a Cherokee, maybe even a Grand Cherokee.

If I'm not mistaken a Liberty & Cherokee weigh about the same and the Liberty's gas mileage isn't very good. The Cherokee's have a higher towing capacity, more interior room, you can get a V8 in a Cherokee and there's more aftermarket support.

But if those points aren't that important too you then go for it, buy a 4WD Libby. They are quite capable on the trails, fun to drive & other than the occasional window regulator problem, quite reliable.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They used a nv1500 5 speed until 05 or 06 and then switched to a 6 speed nv3500...
Most 5 speeds are 2.4s I believe but the the 6speeds are v6 only as it changed when they dropped the 2.4.
It's geared tall.

5-speed NVG NV1500 manual was the 2wd transmission
5-speed NVG NV3500 manual was the 4wd transmission
6-speed Mercedes/Chrysler NSG370 manual

My 5-speed 4wd Liberty has the V6

gearing is 3.73:1