i'm new

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpmiller78

Reaction score
i own a subaru, and have been wanting a diesel, but also want awd. what kind of mpg's are you guys seeing with your diesel liberty's? i am getting 22 to 23 city and 27 to 29 on the hwy with my outback. what is the range on a tank of diesel in a jeep? just wondering if i should make a switch to a diesel jeep.

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
Libertys are a heavy little machine, you will never see that kind of mileage out of a diesel liberty. The diesels are also expensive to maintain. But a great little off road vehicle. I see 14 city and about 20 highway, these are short trips, the best and only long trip I averaged 24.:party52:

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i own a subaru, and have been wanting a diesel, but also want awd. what kind of mpg's are you guys seeing with your diesel liberty's? i am getting 22 to 23 city and 27 to 29 on the hwy with my outback. what is the range on a tank of diesel in a jeep? just wondering if i should make a switch to a diesel jeep.

Actually, that's similar to what I see for mileage on my CRD. I have seen as high as 30 to 33 on long interstate trips, and as much as 580 miles on one tank.

BUT.......

I've done quite a few mods to mine, to correct "issues" with Chrysler's (DaimlerChrysler at the time) bean counter engineering - fuel system, torque converter, etc.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend a still-stock CRD as a primary vehicle - I went thru at least 3 grand in mods just geared toward getting it to where I felt it was reliable as a primary vehicle - I've owned a Subaru before (an '87 GL wagon I kept for 18 years), and you'd probably be better served by your Subaru as a primary reliable daily driver.

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's similar to what I see for mileage on my CRD. I have seen as high as 30 to 33 on long interstate trips, and as much as 580 miles on one tank.

BUT.......

I've done quite a few mods to mine, to correct "issues" with Chrysler's (DaimlerChrysler at the time) bean counter engineering - fuel system, torque converter, etc.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend a still-stock CRD as a primary vehicle - I went thru at least 3 grand in mods just geared toward getting it to where I felt it was reliable as a primary vehicle - I've owned a Subaru before (an '87 GL wagon I kept for 18 years), and you'd probably be better served by your Subaru as a primary reliable daily driver.

Same here, I am seeing 30 MPG on highway and and 24 MPG for short trips. The driver and his driving habits can have a big affect on economy as well. Like driving with one foot on the brake and one the gas, tail gating, speeding.