IM NEW! IDK WHAT TO DO!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did what you mention above. All troubleshooting was done with the key turned to the on position. The engine was not running. So, I pulled the #15 fuse and checked the two pins. With the voltmeter set to 200V or 20V I checked the two pins where the fuse sits. I got a reading of 11.9. I reinstalled the fuse. Then I pulled out the low beam relay and I put the red probe to pin 30, the black probe to 85 "is coil ground" in the photo and I got no readings. I swapped out the relays. It's in the earlier post. I also checked the pins of the driver side light. I have three wires violet, black, and green. So I put the positive probe to violet wire low beam, and black probe to the black wire ground, no reading. Then I tested the green wire and it showed a reading which is high beam. No readings on the black pin wire. I haven't been driving my jeep since this thread started. The relay readings were suppose to be taken when the relay was out, I don't know any other way to check the relay.
Clarify please:

When you are testing - are you testing the pins of the relay out of circuit - are you probing the socket the relay plugs into -

There are different measurements to be done.

Resistance or continuity on the relay itself.
Voltage or light on if probing pins of the socket.

I apologize if this is too simple, but the relay is like a faucet. It controls the flow of power.
12v across 85 86 energize the relay and allow power to flow thru 30 to 87 or 87a depending on the application.

If you have no power on 85 86, the relay will not energize.

If you hear the click, relay can still be bad - a pitted contact on 30 - 87/87a

You have swapped relays, so i assume at least the relay is good.

In ths case - for the low beam rely to have power to 86 85, the headlight switch must be on. Does not matter if engine is running. Your lights can be on without the jeep running. Key does not need to be on.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK if you use Page 8W-50-3 from the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual downloaded at: www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Then...pins 85 and 30 on the Low Beam Relay should read +12 volts with respect to ground even with ignition OFF!

Pin #86 on this relay should show 12 Volts if you put one meter probe on Pin #86 and the other meter lead direct to the battery positive. This will prove that Pin #86 is at ground. For this test Ignition must be ON and Low beams selected on the Multifunction Switch.

If this is not the case then go to page #8W-45-3 in the Service Manuals.

You will see on page #8W-45-3 that the Body Control Module (BCM) which is plugged onto this board with the fuses...is fed by the Multifunction Switch via Connector C2.

So a good chance that the Multifunction Switch is bad!

The connector going from the BCM to the Headlamps is C106 which feeds wires Violet, Light Green/Brown for Left headlamp and Red/Orange, Violet/Red for Right headlamp.

Worth re-plugging C106...location shown at end of Section 8W.

I really think you need to unplug the connectors on the rear of the lamps themselves and see if they are fitted correctly..maybe the power is not getting to the Low Beams at these connectors!
You can measure the voltages here with the bulbs removed to see if you are getting +12 volts to the connectors with ignition ON and Low Beams selected.

Maybe the Bulbs themselves have blown from all the messing around and new bulbs will fix the problem!

Are these the standard Bulbs for the Jeep and not LEDS etc?

My main culprit is the Multifunction Switch as both Left and Right bulbs are not getting power to the Low Beams....at least re-plug the connector on the Multifunction Switch!

Last edited:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK if you use Page 8W-50-3 from the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual downloaded at: www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Then...pins 85 and 30 on the Low Beam Relay should read +12 volts with respect to ground even with ignition OFF!

Pin #86 on this relay should show 12 Volts if you put one meter probe on Pin #86 and the other meter lead direct to the battery positive. This will prove that Pin #86 is at ground. For this test Ignition must be ON and Low beams selected on the Multifunction Switch.

You will see on page #8W-45-3 that the Body Control Module (BCM) which is plugged onto this board with the fuses...is fed by the Multifunction Switch via Connector C2.

The connector going from the BCM to the Headlamps is C106 which feeds wires Violet, Light Green/Brown for Left headlamp and Red/Orange, Violet/Red for Right headlamp.

I really think you need to unplug the connectors on the rear of the lamps themselves and see if they are fitted correctly..maybe the power is not getting to the Low Beams at these connectors!
You can measure the voltages here with the bulbs removed to see if you are getting +12 volts to the connectors with ignition ON and Low Beams selected.

Maybe the Bulbs themselves have blown from all the messing around and new bulbs will fix the problem!

My main culprit is the Multifunction Switch as both Left and Right bulbs are not getting power to the Low Beams....at least re-plug the connector on the Multifunction Switch!
Thanks for the detail! I was going from memory for my write up. Nicely done!

dkg

Reaction score

Sorry Bill, I'm not a electrical person. When I look at the electrical diagram I don't understand it very much. I couldn't find the "Worth re-plugging C106...location shown at end of Section 8W." I saw the micro-relay and the heading. Didn’t see C106. I posted the connectors diagnosis earlier in my post. I'm also using new standard original bulbs. I tested the relay out of the circuit and I'm unable to check the socket where the low beam relay sits. It's way hidden in the corner. It was pretty difficult to get the relay out.

Last edited:

dkg

Reaction score
Clarify please:

When you are testing - are you testing the pins of the relay out of circuit - are you probing the socket the relay plugs into -

There are different measurements to be done.

Resistance or continuity on the relay itself.
Voltage or light on if probing pins of the socket.

I apologize if this is too simple, but the relay is like a faucet. It controls the flow of power.
12v across 85 86 energize the relay and allow power to flow thru 30 to 87 or 87a depending on the application.

If you have no power on 85 86, the relay will not energize.

If you hear the click, relay can still be bad - a pitted contact on 30 - 87/87a

You have swapped relays, so i assume at least the relay is good.

In ths case - for the low beam rely to have power to 86 85, the headlight switch must be on. Does not matter if engine is running. Your lights can be on without the jeep running. Key does not need to be on.
Yes, I checked the relay when it was removed. I think I may have put that in an earlier post. Yes, the relay does click when it was plugged in and when it was not plugged in to the circuit.
I don't even know who I'm replying to. I had found a you tube video and it said that you can give the replay enough power with a 9V battery, so I did that and it clicks.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I checked the relay when it was removed. I think I may have put that in an earlier post. Yes, the relay does click when it was plugged in and when it was not plugged in to the circuit.
I don't even know who I'm replying to. I had found a you tube video and it said that you can give the replay enough power with a 9V battery, so I did that and it clicks.
It is easier to follow if we quote the post we are replying to, like the last few here.

Anyway -

In. Re-reading your posts several times. You have already done what i was going to suggest.

I am out of ideas.

Sorry if i mis-lead or confused your process in any way.

Dadosix

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and find a Multifunction switch at a Breaker yard...one from a Jeep with or without Foglights will work!

Or find a Friend with a Jeep and try swapping this over....very easy to do!

Otherwise you are forced to go to the dreaded "Dealer" to repair the problem:eek:

dkg

Reaction score
can anyone tell me where "Worth re-plugging C106...location shown at end of Section 8W." C106 is located?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok to find location of Connector C106:
In 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual:

Section 8W Table Of Contents tells you to go to 8W-91-1.

8W-91-1 tells you: C106 Color is Black.

Location Left Front Side of Engine Compartment Fig. 29.

Fig 29 is on page 8W-91-42...shows a nice picture of where that connector and some others are!;)

dkg

Reaction score
It is easier to follow if we quote the post we are replying to, like the last few here.

Anyway -

In. Re-reading your posts several times. You have already done what i was going to suggest.

I am out of ideas.

Sorry if i mis-lead or confused your process in any way.

Dadosix
Oh, no you didn't. In fact I appreciate everyone that's helping me. I wish I could get my light to work.

dkg

Reaction score
I think it might be a short in the wire. How in the heck am I going to trace that to the fuse box.
I just don't under stand why this happens to me.

Last edited:

dkg

Reaction score
Now, I just went out and my jeep is smoking from the back of the engine. I had replaced the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking oil. So I did that and there was no leakage. I cleaned up the splattered oil under the chaise, and was hoping it burn off and go away. well, just my luck new problem!!! The thing is that burning smells in the cabin, so I have to drive it with the windows down. GOD HATES ME!!!

dkg

Reaction score
Try and find a Multifunction switch at a Breaker yard...one from a Jeep with or without Foglights will work!

Or find a Friend with a Jeep and try swapping this over....very easy to do!

Otherwise you are forced to go to the dreaded "Dealer" to repair the problem:eek:
Yeah, I don't know anyone else who has a jeep. You know what the dealer is going to do! Man this is really disappointing. Now the oil leak and smoke in the engine bay...why is this happening?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I kept my old switch when I installed my fog lights. I don't remember if I still have it or not, but I will check and see.

dkg

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know anyone else who has a jeep. You know what the dealer is going to do! Man this is really disappointing. Now the oil leak and smoke in the engine bay...why is this happening?
However, I did exchange the two pins low to high and left the high pin out. I didn't want to put the pin in the other slot. Because this way I don't have to mess with it again. The low beam lights work...I can drive it and go nowhere I'll be breathing the fumes in the cabin.

Last edited:

dkg

Reaction score
Now I have an oil leak. I had changed the valve cover gaskets and made sure nothing was leaking. "My Jeep had been sitting for many, many months without being driven. I didn't see any oil leaking from the valve cover or the gasket. I can't catch a break...

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, maybe a little good news: I do still have my multifunction switch. It does NOT have the frog light switch, though it looks like that doesn't matter.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I think it might be a short in the wire. How in the heck am I going to trace that to the fuse box.
I just don't under stand why this happens to me.
Get a long piece of wire and bypass each questionable wire until the circuit works and you'll know which wire has the short.

Don't feel bad, this happens to everyone, it's just your turn. It's frustrating to chase problems that can't be seen; even worse when they're intermittent.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Electrical wiring problems in motor vehicles are the worst. I had an old chief in Nuke school who was an electronics technician. He said he liked troubleshooting mechanical problems because they would always tell you where they were. (Heat, noise, smoke, etc.) For electrical problems he would say "They'll tell you they are there, now come and find me - 'cause I'm not saying where".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.