I'm confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input, I've decided to stay with the stock tire size 235/70/16 and go with some Cooper Discovery AT3's.

So just for my knowledge, what is exactly you guys are talking about when you say "modified the molding in the pinch weld area" and " hammered over the pinch weld"?

At the back of each front wheel well is an extension that protrudes into the wheel well. That protrusion is the 'pinch weld,' which is the seam that runs from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well in which two segments of the unibody are welded together at the factory.

The pinch weld seam typically rubs on slightly oversize tires (and even stock tires depending on how badly the suspension has sagged) and so the pinch weld is pounded flat. The plastic liner is first cut and pulled to the side, then using a 3 pound hammer the pinch weld is pounded flat. The plastic liner is molded flat over the pinch weld using a heat gun or very hot hair dryer.

Here is a post from way back in the day: How to pound over a pinch weld.

:waytogo:

Bob

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your plans for wheels? Just curious cause I'm thinking of running the Cooper AT3's as well and would love to see pics after.

Last edited:

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mx3_ryder I'm just going to run the factory aluminum wheels, not a lot of options out there for a 16x7 and the same backspacing as factory for a non lifted Liberty.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mx3_ryder I'm just going to run the factory aluminum wheels, not a lot of options out there for a 16x7 and the same backspacing as factory for a non lifted Liberty.

Indeed there are not many options for wheels in 16x7 with factory spacing.... I've even talked to a couple of the manufacturers who will make custom wheels (Rotiform, etc.) and most of them don't have 16 inch custom options (usually starting at 18", some at 17"). And then you are already talking about at least $2500 for a set of 4. :Insane:

If only somebody would make some 16x7 5x4.5 turbine rally style wheels in gunmetal grey or bronze.... hmmm

Last edited: