I'm confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading a ton of threads about wheel and tires sizes and back spacing I'm just plain confused. I have a stock height 2002 Liberty sport, I'm looking to put on some aftermarket wheels and new tires, so here is my question..

Will a 16x8 wheel with 4.5" back spacing and zero offset with a 245/70-16 tire rub on a stock height Liberty sport? Or will I be ok with the same wheel specs and a 235/70-16 tire?

Thanks for any input in this and Merry Christmas to all you fine folks here!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need at least 245/75/16 for an 8 inch wheel. Which will require lift. Putting an 8 inch wheel in general on the Libby will cause rubbing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After reading a ton of threads about wheel and tires sizes and back spacing I'm just plain confused. I have a stock height 2002 Liberty sport, I'm looking to put on some aftermarket wheels and new tires, so here is my question..

Will a 16x8 wheel with 4.5" back spacing and zero offset with a 245/70-16 tire rub on a stock height Liberty sport? Or will I be ok with the same wheel specs and a 235/70-16 tire?

Thanks for any input in this and Merry Christmas to all you fine folks here!

First 8 inch wide wheel is too wide unlifted
Next 4.5 inch backspacing is too much stock
third stay 7 inches wide, 5 inches of backspacing unlifted
need 8 inch wide tread for 8 inch wheel unless you like the look of little hondas etc
So in the end stick with stock wheels or wheels with stock specs

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No better motivation for getting a lift installed than some wheel well music! :gr_grin:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add, ive had same spec rims on mine as well.

It rubbed even with 235/70r16. It rode terribly with them on. It is still one of my greatest regret that i bought aftermarket rims. I put my steelies back on with 1.25" spacer and painted them black.

Do you plan on lifting? You can still put upto 265/75r16s on stock rims. It will just look fatter. (Of course regear needed if that side)

As far as look, you can paint your rims black and look better than most ally rims.

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not planning on lifting it. I have to buy new tires so I would have like to put some better looking wheels on it, but from what it sounds like I might just go with a stock size tire and be done with it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No, not planning on lifting it. I have to buy new tires so I would have like to put some better looking wheels on it, but from what it sounds like I might just go with a stock size tire and be done with it.

Depending on the amount of sag you maybe able to run 245-70-16s
wheels will need to stay at 7 inches wide with 5 inches of backspacing

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the amount of sag you maybe able to run 245-70-16s
wheels will need to stay at 7 inches wide with 5 inches of backspacing

Just to make sure, the stock wheel is 7" wide with 5" backspacing?

How would I measure sag and what would be considered a lot of sag?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to make sure, the stock wheel is 7" wide with 5" backspacing?

How would I measure sag and what would be considered a lot of sag?

Very middle of the wheel? centercap to the very bottom of the flare ( measure the left front on level ground ) New if built after April 12, 2002 would be 19 inches at that measurement. Most I see are about 17.5 -18 with 70-80,000 miles on them
The 03 I picked up a few months back with 81,000 was at 17.75 it was a one owner , heated garage kept, babied all it life, never off road
and yes stock is 7 inches wide and 5 inches of backspacing

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got around to measuring and from the wheel center to the bottom of the fender flare and its 18 1/4" is that enough to run a 245/70/16 without rubbing or is that cutting it to close?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got around to measuring and from the wheel center to the bottom of the fender flare and its 18 1/4" is that enough to run a 245/70/16 without rubbing or is that cutting it to close?

So when I was 18" I ran 245/70/16. I had to do some plastic molding (Pinch weld area) and I did rub a little. It is possible but every jeep is a little different and I would suggest at least a clevis/top plate lift to help out.

czarkj-albums-my-jeep-picture4249-img-1193.jpg

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

It will be close, heck I rubbed some with 245-70-16s when turned and mine only had 5000 miles when I installed them.
Of course they didn't last long :icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So when I was 18" I ran 245/70/16. I had to do some plastic molding (Pinch weld area) and I did rub a little. It is possible but every jeep is a little different and I would suggest at least a clevis/top plate lift to help out.

czarkj-albums-my-jeep-picture4249-img-1193.jpg

Some but very little some people just have very little room in there and think its OK

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with a nice all terrain tire at a stock size which for me was 235-70-16. No rub no problems and a good look.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i would go with a nice all terrain tire at a stock size which for me was 235-70-16. No rub no problems and a good look.

With the soft suspension these KJs have thats the best advice

NO ONE can say sure they will fit since they do not know how much the other has sagged.
Its like telling a 80 year old woman that she can wear her 18 year old great grand daughters bra, just ain't going to work right :shrug::icon_lol:

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input, I've decided to stay with the stock tire size 235/70/16 and go with some Cooper Discovery AT3's.

So just for my knowledge, what is exactly you guys are talking about when you say "modified the molding in the pinch weld area" and " hammered over the pinch weld"?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input, I've decided to stay with the stock tire size 235/70/16 and go with some Cooper Discovery AT3's.

So just for my knowledge, what is exactly you guys are talking about when you say "modified the molding in the pinch weld area" and " hammered over the pinch weld"?

Pinch weld is the area behind the front tires , sticks out about 2-3 inches
what you want to do is heat the plastic up, cut it in a "V" shape from above the pinch weld out and down on both sides. Leave it attached at the top making the cut about 2 inches wide or more , allowing you to bend the plastic up out of the way.
Take a 3 lb hammer and bend over the pinch weld , then paint it good to prevent rust, heat up the plastic againa nd smooth down over the pinch weld area. When done right you'll hardly even notice anything was ever done.
I'll be doing another one here soon, I may take pictures and write up my own how to on it
You must be registered for see images attach