illumination panel lights go on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Ever since I bought the vehicle 1 1/2 years ago I noticed that the illumination panel lights often go on for no reason and eventually go off. For example, the lights that indicate 2WD vs 4WD drive go on even when I have not engaged the shifter.

Or the gas cap light when on and would not go off even when I replaced the gas cap. I finally had to disconnect the battery for the vehicle to acknowledge the new gas cap.

Recently the CHECK ENGINE light went on though the car had been recently SMOG tested and passed and was running well. So I again disconnected the battery and the CHECK ENGINE light did not return.

The above has happened to me twice!! And thoughts or ideas on what is causing this??

Thank you,
J

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any codes from the check engine?? Alternators an battery's can do weird things

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2WD and 4WD light could be the tranfercase position switch, there is a write up somewhere on how to change it not too hard. And the gas cap if it was bad and you got a new one code will still need to be cleared/reset hence the reason it went away when you disconnected the battery. Next time check engine comes on I would take it to an autozone or something and they can read your codes for free!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The check engine light is a diagnostic aid that's there to tell you what's wrong once you read the codes. It shouldn't be treated like it's a nuisance that just needs to get turned back off. Your Jeep's problem isn't the check engine light, the issue is with whatever is wrong that tripped it on. If it's something serious, the light will be back on.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. All 3 lights are telling you something. This is not your dash malfunctioning.

1) The transfer case light is the transfer case position switch/sensor. It's a $50-$70 switch on top of the transfer case that should be changed.

2) Gas cap error needs to be cleared even though you replaced the gas cap (or a few error-free cycles can clear it too)

3) Your CEL came on for a reason. The Jeep is throwing diagnostic codes that something is wrong. I don't know if this works with a 2006...but you can turn the key to the "on" (NOT PASSED IT) position 3 times quickly to get a read out of codes. Either that or go to a local parts store that might read the codes for you. Bring them back here and refer to the diagnostic codes list for details.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. All 3 lights are telling you something. This is not your dash malfunctioning.

1) The transfer case light is the transfer case position switch/sensor. It's a $50-$70 switch on top of the transfer case that should be changed.

2) Gas cap error needs to be cleared even though you replaced the gas cap (or a few error-free cycles can clear it too)

3) Your CEL came on for a reason. The Jeep is throwing diagnostic codes that something is wrong. I don't know if this works with a 2006...but you can turn the key to the "on" (NOT PASSED IT) position 3 times quickly to get a read out of codes. Either that or go to a local parts store that might read the codes for you. Bring them back here and refer to the diagnostic codes list for details.

I don't believe the "key" trick works on the Kjs from 2006 upwards.:shrug:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the "key" trick works on the Kjs from 2006 upwards.:shrug:

Gah I think you're right. I also think they brought it back for KKs though. In either case he can still get the code read at Autozone or the likes!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In CA auto parts stores can no longer check the codes for you. Ugh!!

I have this (click link>): ElmScan scan tool, to hook up the Jeep to my laptop, and it reads codes, monitors the engine, and clears codes/resets the light like a charm. You can also download different free diagnostic/monitoring software. The only thing that didn't diagnose accurately with the supplied software was the emissions test readiness, which is why I downloaded different software that that shows how many readies and non-readies there are. Here in IL, they will pass you with one non-ready.

Last edited: