Idling low and parking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this has been going on for a couple months now, but I was just kind of curious as to what it might be. I notice when I pull into my garage and stop, the KJ will idle down really low almost to the point where it seems like it's going to stall. It never has, and it has nothing to do with letting the clutch out too soon or anything since I'm not driving it at that point. The only time I notice it is when I'm stopped and just about ready to shut the engine off. Any ideas? The belt and the pulleys all seem fine as far as tension and such goes--if that would have anything to do with it, I'm not sure, but I just remember my brother mentioning something about that at one point.

Also just out of curiosity, isn't putting a manual in first gear upon parking supposed to prevent it from moving when you're facing uphill, and reverse to do the same when facing downhill? Because this most definitely does not work in my KJ. Put it in either gear and away it rolls =[

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pertaining to the low idle, im not too sure. Mine drops down to 600 rpms when idling at a stop, which I believe it what is expected. If it isn't smoothly idling at 600, I would think something is up.

For parking in gear, this is true although I believe it is recommended to leave it in 2nd gear instead of 1st (not sure why?!?). It is always recommended to still use your e-brake in these situations as well.

Hope that helps.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of which way you are facing, any gear should stop the vehicle from rolling (on a slight hill). I would not really rely on gear alone to hold it in place, nor I would trust e-brake alone either. So just do both and play safe. Could there be something wrong with your clutch?

Idling low, not sure but do manuals have throttle position sensor? I assume they've gotta have it. TPS might be loose/bad.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the RPM's when you think its idling low?

Throttle body could be a little dirty.. Sea-foam cleans all that right up. :)

About the rolling thing. Is the engine turning when you have it in gear? I assume you are not holding the clutch in when you do this?

Only reason I can think of that you would want to use 2nd is that 1st gear is geared so low it makes it a lot easier to turn the engine.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it hovers right around 300 to 400 RPMs when it feels like it's going to stall. It jumps up again after a second, but it seems to do it every time I stop. And how exactly does one check to see if the throttle body is dirty? =P

As for rolling away, no, I am not holding the clutch in lol, and I am using the ebrake as well. I just was wondering because I know putting it into gear after the engine is turned off works to keep our Subaru in place, so I wondered why the same wouldn't be true for the KJ.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it hovers right around 300 to 400 RPMs when it feels like it's going to stall. It jumps up again after a second, but it seems to do it every time I stop. And how exactly does one check to see if the throttle body is dirty? =P

As for rolling away, no, I am not holding the clutch in lol, and I am using the ebrake as well. I just was wondering because I know putting it into gear after the engine is turned off works to keep our Subaru in place, so I wondered why the same wouldn't be true for the KJ.

It should idle at 600-650rpm. Throttle position sensor?? Take off the black rubber intake hose carefully and look inside and see if the throttle body is shiney or black. If black then it is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Soak a rag with throttle body cleaner and clean it out by hand. You can spray it in there but you don't want to soak the sensors much as they might not like that.

As for the ******, it should hold but proper parking a stick shift should include the e-brake. (I know you know that) But it should hold. Use 2nd gear and if the e-brake does not hold maybe it needs an adjustment.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Another thing on the ideling- How much Ethonal is in your fuel??? It casue rougher ideling. Is you Check engine light on??? Any codes??? EGR valve could be going bad also.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the e-brake holds fine, it's just without it on that I was curious why leaving it in gear didn't do so also xD

As for the ethanol, 10%, and no weird lights. It's been behaving fine in addition to this, and I really only notice it when I'm stopped in the garage (which is on a very slight incline, hence noticing the parking thing). And what's an EGR valve/where is it?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well the e-brake holds fine, it's just without it on that I was curious why leaving it in gear didn't do so also xD

As for the ethanol, 10%, and no weird lights. It's been behaving fine in addition to this, and I really only notice it when I'm stopped in the garage (which is on a very slight incline, hence noticing the parking thing). And what's an EGR valve/where is it?

EGR- Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve.

My Durango stalled and ran rough, until I replaced the EGR valve.

On the KJ, I have no idea where it is. On the D, it had to put on to a rack I believe.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should idle at 600-650rpm. Throttle position sensor??

Dave

I would think more towards the IAC(Idle air control). :)

And the ****** in the kj should hold just like that other car. Try using 2nd and see how that works.

Im not 100% sure that the kj has a EGR value. Your durango must have the 4.7 wjkj, they for sure have an EGR valve. Pops had to replace his on his ram..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would think more towards the IAC(Idle air control). :)

And the ****** in the kj should hold just like that other car. Try using 2nd and see how that works.

Im not 100% sure that the kj has a EGR value. Your durango must have the 4.7 wjkj, they for sure have an EGR valve. Pops had to replace his on his ram..

The D is a HEMI...5.7. I'll check the D forum, since some D's have a 3.7. I'll start here first.:)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The D is a HEMI...5.7. I'll check the D forum, since some D's have a 3.7. I'll start here first.:)

Nothing on here. That makes me believe we don't have one. I'll check LOST sometime.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
When you park a standard ****** rig, you always park it low gear....why 2nd gear??? The low gear holds better since it is a taller gear. Did you ever bump start anything in first gear and then try it in 2nd or even third? The 1st gear bump usually jolts the wheels more than doing it 2nd or 3rd. Therefore it would stand to reason that it would take more torque to turn an engine over in 1st gear rather than 2nd gear.

Now this also depends on how good the compression is on the engine in question.

As far as the low idle, do you notice it more when you have your foot on the brake by any chance? You may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Last edited:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, I probably do have my foot on the brake when it drops RPMs. I'll have to test it when I go out driving Monday.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I have seen a leaking brake booster do that before, it creates a vacuum leak when the brake is applied causing low engine rpm and stalling. Just a thought.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you park a standard ****** rig, you always park it low gear....why 2nd gear??? The low gear holds better since it is a taller gear. Did you ever bump start anything in first gear and then try it in 2nd or even third? The 1st gear bump usually jolts the wheels more than doing it 2nd or 3rd. Therefore it would stand to reason that it would take more torque to turn an engine over in 1st gear rather than 2nd gear.

I agree. Use 1st gear.

I have seen a leaking brake booster do that before, it creates a vacuum leak when the brake is applied causing low engine rpm and stalling. Just a thought.

I've experienced that too.

I noticed in your sig that your Jeep is an '02 with 108,000miles on it. When was the last time you had new plugs?

When I first got my Jeep it idled low and rough. After changing the plugs, it went away.

Just a though.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very confused about the 'in gear and rolling away' - if it's really in gear - then rolling should cause the engine to turn over - it would be very obvious (and fairly hard to do)

if it's just rolling away - it's not really in gear.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure its in gear considering I've been driving it for two years almost now ;) Still have to try second gear but we shall see.