Idle speed alternating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwak

Reaction score
Hi everybody here

I have a 2004, 2.8 CRD. After starting the engine, i usually hear a click then the idle speed changes for a moment....returns the normal idle speed, click, speed changing for a moment....and so on.

Can you help me to find what happening?

Thank you

Tom

Last edited:

megas

Reaction score
Could that be the compressor turning on and off, try turning the vent knob to the circle and see if it keeps doing it.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could that be the compressor turning on and off, try turning the vent knob to the circle and see if it keeps doing it.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, probably the air-con kicking in.

Could also tempory pull out the air-con Relay to make sure air con does not kick in.:shrug:

kwak

Reaction score
Thank you all. I will check these and come back.
Have a nice day

Tom

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Might also be the viscous heater which has a magnetic clutch like the AC compressor. Listen with the hood open.

kwak

Reaction score
Hi. Some news about my problem.

I remove the AC relay and the problem seems tob solved :). no clicks and ac compressor starts. the engine runs smootly. :)

So the next step to find what controls this relay/ what gives signals to switch?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Bad temp sensor somewhere? Rubbed wire? Intermittent ground? Bad relay?

I'm just guessing but I'm guessing it's not the throttle body.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. Some news about my problem.

I remove the AC relay and the problem seems tob solved :). no clicks and ac compressor starts. the engine runs smootly. :)

So the next step to find what controls this relay/ what gives signals to switch?

The air con will always cycle ON/OFF even if it is not switched ON...this is to maintain the humidity inside and stop the windscreen from misting up.

Some Owners have modified this action to stop this happening but I believe it does serve a purpose!:shrug: