Idle at 500 RPM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal to get 500 RPM and a little bit of shaking while in idle?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
At normal running temp I am right around 650 on the tach.

Dave

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must be sitting high? so i see it as 500 :D ill check again.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I put my jeep in Drive (and when I have been driving it for a while) at the traffic light or stop sign, it will always shake a bit so slightly when I let go of brake, back and forth because the damn rpm is so low. Cannot make up its mind, move or stop... only happens on level ground, of course. Does not happen when it is in 4x4. Because the it either moves or it dont...

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also shakes while moving 2Mph while slightly stepping on the break. Is it normal?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same with me, 2mph or slower, either when stepping on brakes or when I let go of brakes and let it roll at idle rpm. Only when it is warm, though.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I guess its normal then. I was starting to think something got messed up when i had the fluids changed.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about 500rpm, though. You sure it is not 600 or like 650 or something when it is nice and warm?

WoodysKJ

Reaction score
As silly as it may seam...
I would have your battery checked. IT MAY be going bad. The charging system in the KJ works differently. And when the battery is dying it can cause the PCM to do wierd things. Looks like in the icon you drive a 05 or 06 model. It should be still good, but it could have a bad cell.